May 11, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
Carey Price‘s injury was the final dagger in the Montreal Canadiens’ playoff hopes but Habs fans can relax knowing he’ll have plenty of time to cure what’s ailing him now.
Price told reporters today he has a Grade 2 MCL sprain in his knee and he would’ve missed 4-6 weeks had the Canadiens gotten past Ottawa in the first round. Now Price will have the summer to repair and rest the injury.
It was during Game 4 that Price went down as he scrambled late in the game for a puck. When overtime began, it was Peter Budaj in goal and not Price. Budaj started and lost Game 5 and the series for Montreal on Thursday night.
The season certainly ended in disappointing fashion for Montreal, especially after winning the Northeast Division and finishing second in the Eastern Conference, but Price said he has to raise his game to another level. He struggled during the final two months of the season.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)