May 11, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
Carey Price‘s injury was the final dagger in the Montreal Canadiens’ playoff hopes but Habs fans can relax knowing he’ll have plenty of time to cure what’s ailing him now.
Price told reporters today he has a Grade 2 MCL sprain in his knee and he would’ve missed 4-6 weeks had the Canadiens gotten past Ottawa in the first round. Now Price will have the summer to repair and rest the injury.
It was during Game 4 that Price went down as he scrambled late in the game for a puck. When overtime began, it was Peter Budaj in goal and not Price. Budaj started and lost Game 5 and the series for Montreal on Thursday night.
The season certainly ended in disappointing fashion for Montreal, especially after winning the Northeast Division and finishing second in the Eastern Conference, but Price said he has to raise his game to another level. He struggled during the final two months of the season.
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans have a right to be upset with St. Louis 2
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 19
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)