May 11, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
Carey Price‘s injury was the final dagger in the Montreal Canadiens’ playoff hopes but Habs fans can relax knowing he’ll have plenty of time to cure what’s ailing him now.
Price told reporters today he has a Grade 2 MCL sprain in his knee and he would’ve missed 4-6 weeks had the Canadiens gotten past Ottawa in the first round. Now Price will have the summer to repair and rest the injury.
It was during Game 4 that Price went down as he scrambled late in the game for a puck. When overtime began, it was Peter Budaj in goal and not Price. Budaj started and lost Game 5 and the series for Montreal on Thursday night.
The season certainly ended in disappointing fashion for Montreal, especially after winning the Northeast Division and finishing second in the Eastern Conference, but Price said he has to raise his game to another level. He struggled during the final two months of the season.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 10
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 14
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 12
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5