May 11, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
Carey Price‘s injury was the final dagger in the Montreal Canadiens’ playoff hopes but Habs fans can relax knowing he’ll have plenty of time to cure what’s ailing him now.
Price told reporters today he has a Grade 2 MCL sprain in his knee and he would’ve missed 4-6 weeks had the Canadiens gotten past Ottawa in the first round. Now Price will have the summer to repair and rest the injury.
It was during Game 4 that Price went down as he scrambled late in the game for a puck. When overtime began, it was Peter Budaj in goal and not Price. Budaj started and lost Game 5 and the series for Montreal on Thursday night.
The season certainly ended in disappointing fashion for Montreal, especially after winning the Northeast Division and finishing second in the Eastern Conference, but Price said he has to raise his game to another level. He struggled during the final two months of the season.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)