Canucks’ Ballard opens up about working relationship with coach Vigneault

May 11, 2013, 1:35 AM EST

Vancouver Canucks v Florida Panthers Getty Images

With the Vancouver Canucks’ season now over, following a sweep at the hands of the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday, many questions surround management as to which players will be back for the 2013-14 campaign.

The future of defenseman Keith Ballard with the Canucks remains in the balance, especially now that teams have two compliance buyouts.

The Canucks acquired Ballard in June of 2010, giving the Florida Panthers back Steve Bernier, Michael Grabner and a first-round draft pick.

But the last three years have not gone well for Ballard, who has two years remaining on his contract that is a $4.2 million cap hit.

He’s dealt with injuries and been a constant guest in head coach Alain Vigneault’s doghouse when healthy.

A healthy scratch for Vancouver’s only four playoff games this spring, Ballard’s working relationship with Vigneault was brought up when he spoke with reporters at Rogers Arena on Thursday.

His response was surprising.

“I get along with him actually really well,” said Ballard. “I don’t always agree with his decisions but that’s life, right?”

And as for Ballard’s future in Vancouver, general manager Mike Gillis said no decision has been made on who could be facing a buyout this off-season.

“There’s a lot of moving parts here,” said Gillis.

“Like I said…there’s very little supply out there. We have to see how things turn out before we’re going to commit to making any decision like that.”

1. blomfeld - May 11, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Take your losses Keith and get away from here ‘asap’ … you’ll save yourself from a ton of headaches in the future, trust me …

2. hockeyflow33 - May 11, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Am I missing something or is there nothing wrong with what he said?

3. loinstache - May 11, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Honestly, I’m a little surprised if this is true but I’m inclined to believe based on his response. That said, Ballard has revealed himself to be a pretty level character in his years here in Vancouver. It honestly is a shame he hasn’t worked out (oh god thanks for reminding me the cost) but it’s pretty hard to dislike the guy.

4. hawkeedawg - May 11, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Personally I don’t think AV ever really gave Ballard a chance to succeed. I like the man, I like the player.

5. canucks30 - May 11, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Canucks could sure use Michael Grabner and Quinton Howden right about now

• blomfeld - May 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Actually, what the Canucks could use ‘right about now’ is a new set of Taylor Made irons ! :)

6. mrhyperpants - May 11, 2013 at 4:12 PM

What a pointless article.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches