May 10, 2013, 12:40 AM EST
Now that the Minnesota Wild have officially been eliminated from the playoffs, Niklas Backstrom has opened up about the injury that prevented him from logging a single minute in the first round.
He has a sports hernia and will have surgery, according to the Star Tribune’s Michael Russo.
Backstrom was initially projected to play in the Wild’s postseason opener, but he hurt himself during the pregame warm-ups.
You can see what happened below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Josh Harding ended up starting in all five of the Wild’s game and held his own early in the series. Harding, who has multiple sclerosis, was limited to just 185 minutes of ice time in the regular season.
Backstrom turned 35 in February and is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. Could this be how his tenure with the Wild ends?
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 82
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)