May 10, 2013, 1:33 AM EDT
This is also a team that failed to make the playoffs in their previous four campaigns and finished 12th in the Western Conference in 2011-12. The additions of Suter and Parise were huge, but it’s not like they were joining a team on the cusp of greatness.
This is still a growing club and with that in mind, Wild coach Mike Yeo can see the silver lining even after being eliminated in five games by the Chicago Blackhawks.
“This was another important step for us, and even feeling this feeling that we feel right now,” Yeo said, according to the Star Tribune’s Michael Russo. “This is going to help us.”
Minnesota has some decisions to make over the summer. They already have $55,812,201 committed to 17 players, according to Cap Geek, so they’re not in a great position to make another big splash.
All the same, 35-year-old netminder Niklas Backstrom is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent, so the Wild need to address that situation. Otherwise they’ll enter the 2013-14 campaign with a tandem of 23-year-old Darcy Kuemper and Josh Harding.
The Wild also have several young players that might take a step forward in 2013-14, but perhaps the most notable is 21-year-old forward Mikael Granlund. The expectations surrounding him were high going into this season, but he wasn’t able to make a seamless transition to the NHL. Perhaps next season, he’ll be a difference-maker for this club.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“Usually this isn’t the time to fight for the big contract.”
Jul 30, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Jim Hiller is hoping to follow in the footsteps of Todd McLellan, Paul MacLean, and Bill Peters.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Finnish club is moving to the KHL next season.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Arbitration hearing is scheduled for Thursday.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
After not giving him a qualifying offer.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
That’s Lacroix, when he was an assistant for Tampa Bay.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Jim Hiller and Andrew Brewer join Tony Granato, who’s also new.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Jul 30, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
Will this all get settled before Friday’s hearing?
Jul 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Tell us how you really feel, Brad.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Kings captain meets Rangers fan. Hi-jinx ensue.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
From 64 (mercurial) to 10 (gritty!)
Jul 29, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
Now battling Bon Jovi and Donald Trump!
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
“This has been a difficult decision for Kevin.”
Jul 29, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
After a year away from the game.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
Pretty nice pay bump for the 24-year-old rearguard.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
6-foot-8, 250-pounder was a first-round pick in 2005.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Hall of Famer will work as an assistant under Ted Nolan.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Fare thee well, Sammi.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Low-risk signing, with good potential upside.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 32
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 44
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 18
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (46)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)