May 10, 2013, 1:33 AM EST
This is also a team that failed to make the playoffs in their previous four campaigns and finished 12th in the Western Conference in 2011-12. The additions of Suter and Parise were huge, but it’s not like they were joining a team on the cusp of greatness.
This is still a growing club and with that in mind, Wild coach Mike Yeo can see the silver lining even after being eliminated in five games by the Chicago Blackhawks.
“This was another important step for us, and even feeling this feeling that we feel right now,” Yeo said, according to the Star Tribune’s Michael Russo. “This is going to help us.”
Minnesota has some decisions to make over the summer. They already have $55,812,201 committed to 17 players, according to Cap Geek, so they’re not in a great position to make another big splash.
All the same, 35-year-old netminder Niklas Backstrom is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent, so the Wild need to address that situation. Otherwise they’ll enter the 2013-14 campaign with a tandem of 23-year-old Darcy Kuemper and Josh Harding.
The Wild also have several young players that might take a step forward in 2013-14, but perhaps the most notable is 21-year-old forward Mikael Granlund. The expectations surrounding him were high going into this season, but he wasn’t able to make a seamless transition to the NHL. Perhaps next season, he’ll be a difference-maker for this club.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been dealing with a back injury.
Dec 27, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
There was plenty of controversy surrounding the single-punch incident on Nov. 21.
Dec 27, 2014, 2:32 PM EST
Jagr from less than two weeks ago: “(Firing DeBoer) would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make.”
Dec 27, 2014, 1:37 PM EST
He missed four games.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:42 PM EST
He won’t need to undergo surgery.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
The Devils will dress 11 forwards tonight.
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 0
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 1
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 46
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (50)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)