May 10, 2013, 1:33 AM EST
This is also a team that failed to make the playoffs in their previous four campaigns and finished 12th in the Western Conference in 2011-12. The additions of Suter and Parise were huge, but it’s not like they were joining a team on the cusp of greatness.
This is still a growing club and with that in mind, Wild coach Mike Yeo can see the silver lining even after being eliminated in five games by the Chicago Blackhawks.
“This was another important step for us, and even feeling this feeling that we feel right now,” Yeo said, according to the Star Tribune’s Michael Russo. “This is going to help us.”
Minnesota has some decisions to make over the summer. They already have $55,812,201 committed to 17 players, according to Cap Geek, so they’re not in a great position to make another big splash.
All the same, 35-year-old netminder Niklas Backstrom is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent, so the Wild need to address that situation. Otherwise they’ll enter the 2013-14 campaign with a tandem of 23-year-old Darcy Kuemper and Josh Harding.
The Wild also have several young players that might take a step forward in 2013-14, but perhaps the most notable is 21-year-old forward Mikael Granlund. The expectations surrounding him were high going into this season, but he wasn’t able to make a seamless transition to the NHL. Perhaps next season, he’ll be a difference-maker for this club.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:46 PM EST
With a special shout-out to Austria’s 1927 European championship team.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:39 PM EST
“Frankly, in my mind we’re playing him too much.”
Dec 4, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
He was a late scratch for Tuesday’s loss to Columbus.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:10 PM EST
Calgary hosts Phoenix at the Saddledome.
Dec 4, 2013, 12:44 PM EST
Pirri’s slumped lately after a hot start to the year.
Dec 4, 2013, 12:39 PM EST
We came up with three big ones.
Dec 4, 2013, 12:31 PM EST
“We felt we have players ahead of him, simple as that,” said head coach Randy Carlyle.
Dec 4, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
List also includes a number of first-round draft picks.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:28 AM EST
Injuries to Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk opened the door.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:13 AM EST
Mike Babcock says pushing back the deadline is “really beneficial for us.”
Dec 4, 2013, 10:52 AM EST
No Zetterberg or Datsyuk for the Wings equals an opportunity for the Flyers.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:43 AM EST
He’ll back up Curtis McElhinney for the time being.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:13 AM EST
He’ll be 39-years-old when it expires.
Dec 4, 2013, 9:52 AM EST
The actual number may have been even worse.
Dec 4, 2013, 9:33 AM EST
These two teams met in the 1997 Stanley Cup Final.
Dec 4, 2013, 8:10 AM EST
That and all the links ahead to start the day.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:02 AM EST
He’s ahead of schedule, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Dec 4, 2013, 12:46 AM EST
Phoenix embattled them 6-2 on Tuesday.
Dec 3, 2013, 11:49 PM EST
He believes his problems are concussion-related.
Dec 3, 2013, 11:33 PM EST
That happened during Vancouver’s 3-1 win against Nashville.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 1
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 3
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 30
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 44
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (44)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)