May 10, 2013, 1:33 AM EST
This is also a team that failed to make the playoffs in their previous four campaigns and finished 12th in the Western Conference in 2011-12. The additions of Suter and Parise were huge, but it’s not like they were joining a team on the cusp of greatness.
This is still a growing club and with that in mind, Wild coach Mike Yeo can see the silver lining even after being eliminated in five games by the Chicago Blackhawks.
“This was another important step for us, and even feeling this feeling that we feel right now,” Yeo said, according to the Star Tribune’s Michael Russo. “This is going to help us.”
Minnesota has some decisions to make over the summer. They already have $55,812,201 committed to 17 players, according to Cap Geek, so they’re not in a great position to make another big splash.
All the same, 35-year-old netminder Niklas Backstrom is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent, so the Wild need to address that situation. Otherwise they’ll enter the 2013-14 campaign with a tandem of 23-year-old Darcy Kuemper and Josh Harding.
The Wild also have several young players that might take a step forward in 2013-14, but perhaps the most notable is 21-year-old forward Mikael Granlund. The expectations surrounding him were high going into this season, but he wasn’t able to make a seamless transition to the NHL. Perhaps next season, he’ll be a difference-maker for this club.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Vancouver faces San Jose tonight.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 PM EST
He says he’s happy to be in New Jersey.
Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
Could we see an upset or a blowout?
Mar 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EST
Incident occurred during TSN’s trade deadline day coverage.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:41 PM EST
Recapping the trade deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:38 PM EST
“Shane’s a pro, he’ll get through it.”
Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EST
Flames captain was holding out hope for a “tiny chance” he could keep playing.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
Making it “pretty cool to be a part of.”
Mar 3, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 3, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
He didn’t sign with them to lose.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:32 PM EST
Ex-Dallas winger could open up playing alongside the Detroit captain.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)