May 10, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
The Hockey Gods can be so cruel, sometimes. Just ask Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith.
Anaheim Ducks’ forward Kyle Palmieri scored an unusual goal just past the midway point of the second period to tie Game 6 against the Red Wings up at 1-1. That’s how the score stood going into the third period, with the Ducks looking to eliminate the Red Wings.
Palmieri’s shot beat Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard, but rang off the post. After dinging the post, the puck hit off the body of Smith and into a wide open net.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)