May 10, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
The Hockey Gods can be so cruel, sometimes. Just ask Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith.
Anaheim Ducks’ forward Kyle Palmieri scored an unusual goal just past the midway point of the second period to tie Game 6 against the Red Wings up at 1-1. That’s how the score stood going into the third period, with the Ducks looking to eliminate the Red Wings.
Palmieri’s shot beat Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard, but rang off the post. After dinging the post, the puck hit off the body of Smith and into a wide open net.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 0
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 6
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)