May 10, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
The Hockey Gods can be so cruel, sometimes. Just ask Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith.
Anaheim Ducks’ forward Kyle Palmieri scored an unusual goal just past the midway point of the second period to tie Game 6 against the Red Wings up at 1-1. That’s how the score stood going into the third period, with the Ducks looking to eliminate the Red Wings.
Palmieri’s shot beat Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard, but rang off the post. After dinging the post, the puck hit off the body of Smith and into a wide open net.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 14
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)