May 10, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
The Hockey Gods can be so cruel, sometimes. Just ask Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith.
Anaheim Ducks’ forward Kyle Palmieri scored an unusual goal just past the midway point of the second period to tie Game 6 against the Red Wings up at 1-1. That’s how the score stood going into the third period, with the Ducks looking to eliminate the Red Wings.
Palmieri’s shot beat Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard, but rang off the post. After dinging the post, the puck hit off the body of Smith and into a wide open net.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 19
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 18
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 43
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 120
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 79
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7