May 10, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
The Hockey Gods can be so cruel, sometimes. Just ask Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith.
Anaheim Ducks’ forward Kyle Palmieri scored an unusual goal just past the midway point of the second period to tie Game 6 against the Red Wings up at 1-1. That’s how the score stood going into the third period, with the Ducks looking to eliminate the Red Wings.
Palmieri’s shot beat Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard, but rang off the post. After dinging the post, the puck hit off the body of Smith and into a wide open net.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)