May 10, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Why didn’t Marc Staal play Wednesday after making his much-anticipated return to the lineup on Monday?
Whatever the reason, the Rangers’ defenseman wasn’t willing to share specifics today.
“I wasn’t able to go,” he said, per NHL.com’s Dan Rosen. “I’m not going to go into any detail of what happened. I just wasn’t able to play.”
Staal said he made the call to sit out following the morning skate prior to Game 4.
“On the ice it didn’t go particularly well, and as the day went on I just couldn’t see myself getting into a game situation,” he said.
Staal played 17:17 in Game 3, finishing with a minus-1 rating.
The 26-year-old had been sidelined since March 5 when he was struck in the eye with a puck during a game against the Philadelphia Flyers.
Staal won’t play tonight in Washington either.
“I’ll wake up [Saturday] and go at it again,” he said. “With this thing, the way I’ve been dealing with it is I wake up in the morning and take it from there. I couldn’t speculate one way or the other.”
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 0
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 7
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)