May 10, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
Big news in Colorado, as Joe Sakic has been put in charge of “all hockey-related decisions” for the Avalanche, the same team he won two Stanley Cups with during a Hall of Fame career.
Sakic’s new title is Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations.
Meanwhile, Greg Sherman will remain general manager (under Sakic) and Josh Kroenke — the son of Avs owner Stan Kroenke — will replace Pierre Lacroix as team president.
Lacroix will stay on as an advisor.
“Joe will be in charge of all hockey-related decisions moving forward,” said Kroenke in a release. “With his credentials, presence and knowledge of the game, Joe will be a key ingredient in making sure that together we reach our future goals.”
Added Kroenke: “Greg Sherman will work with Joe in managing the day-to-day business operations of the team as general manager. I know he is just as optimistic as Joe and I are about the future of our team.”
Said Sakic in the same release: “Last week, Josh reached out to me about the possibility of a bigger role. After those discussions, I really believe that Stan and Josh are committed to this franchise and want us to get back to where we used to be and compete for the Stanley Cup. Because of their commitment, it’s definitely the right time for me to take a more active role.”
Among the offseason priorities for Sakic will be the hiring of a new head coach to replace Joe Sacco.
There’s also the upcoming draft, in which the Avs will get to choose first overall.
It’s highly likely the club will select Portland Winterhawks defenseman Seth Jones with the first pick, which would prove quite the story given it was Sakic’s Avs who played a large role in getting Jones into hockey during the team’s heyday of the late 1990s and early 2000s.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 26-year-old refuted the report in Ilta-Sanomat.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.
Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”
Sep 2, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Can he beat out Cam Talbot and Ben Scrivens?
Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”
Sep 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
Another diamond in the rough?
Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
After missing most of last season with a back injury.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”
Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
They had strong attendance numbers last season too.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
A few players have leapfrogged Steven Stamkos.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
He played through the injury in 2014-15.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
That’s per L.A. GM Dean Lombardi.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
Which leaves the question — would they make a move?
Sep 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
He spent all of last season with Lehigh Valley.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)