May 10, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
There was plenty of controversy over Daniel Sedin’s boarding penalty that led to San Jose’s series-winning OT tally in Game 4 of the Canucks-Sharks Western Conference semifinal.
But according to former NHL referee Kerry Fraser, there shouldn’t be any controversy — it was the right call.
“Sedin’s approach was much more from behind than the side as [San Jose forward Tommy] Wingles had the lead position,” Fraser explained on his TSN blog. “Once the hit was delivered, Daniel finished the shoulder contact with his hands in a slight push motion which aided in Wingles side motion, loss of balance and awkward fall head first into the boards.”
Here’s video of the hit:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Sedin was displeased with the call and didn’t hold back in criticizing it following the game.
“It’s playoff overtime and it was shoulder to shoulder,” he said. “I thought it was a bad call.”
Fraser wasn’t buying the theory that an overtime game in the postseason should’ve affected the decision-making process.
“Forget any interference that a Referee might avoid calling in overtime on team facing elimination,” he wrote. “The violent contact of Wingles head and shoulder with the boards could not be overlooked.”
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (65)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)