May 10, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
There was plenty of controversy over Daniel Sedin’s boarding penalty that led to San Jose’s series-winning OT tally in Game 4 of the Canucks-Sharks Western Conference semifinal.
But according to former NHL referee Kerry Fraser, there shouldn’t be any controversy — it was the right call.
“Sedin’s approach was much more from behind than the side as [San Jose forward Tommy] Wingles had the lead position,” Fraser explained on his TSN blog. “Once the hit was delivered, Daniel finished the shoulder contact with his hands in a slight push motion which aided in Wingles side motion, loss of balance and awkward fall head first into the boards.”
Here’s video of the hit:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Sedin was displeased with the call and didn’t hold back in criticizing it following the game.
“It’s playoff overtime and it was shoulder to shoulder,” he said. “I thought it was a bad call.”
Fraser wasn’t buying the theory that an overtime game in the postseason should’ve affected the decision-making process.
“Forget any interference that a Referee might avoid calling in overtime on team facing elimination,” he wrote. “The violent contact of Wingles head and shoulder with the boards could not be overlooked.”
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 2
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 56
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (57)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)