May 10, 2013, 11:50 PM EDT
There’s pre-game meals and then there’s Wheaties.
Clarke MacArthur, apparently, had the latter for prior to Game 5 between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins.
As per a tweet from the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle, MacArthur also predicted he would score. That MacArthur did, on a glorious effort in the third period to give the Maple Leafs a 2-0 lead. It turned out to be the winner.
They would hang on for the 2-1 victory and stave off elimination for the moment, sending this series back to Toronto for Game 6.
The triumphant moment comes after MacArthur was a healthy scratch for the Leafs earlier in this series.
“He was obviously a little upset sitting out,” Leafs center Tyler Bozak told the Globe and Mail about MacArthur.
“You never want to sit out at this time of year. Maybe it put a little spark in him because he’s played unbelievable hockey since he’s been back.”
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)