May 10, 2013, 1:41 PM EST
Not surprised at all.
“We were pretty well aware it was going to be all East this year,” Getzlaf told ESPN’s Craig Custance. “That’s just the way it is.”
Getzlaf led the Ducks with 49 points in 44 games this season — pacing Anaheim to the third-best overall record in the league — while Toews was Chicago’s second-leading scorer (48 points in 47 games) while captaining the club to its first Presidents’ Trophy in over 20 years.
Yet when the voting results were made public, neither Getzlaf nor Toews was a finalist.
Alex Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby and John Tavares were announced on Friday as the three nominees — and Getzlaf has a theory on how that came to be.
“The only time the media in the East sees anyone in the West is when we play them,” he explained. “You’re not going to see our games, the media, staying up to 1 or 2 in the morning to watch.”
The Hart Trophy is one of five awards voted on by the Professional Hockey Writers Association, along with the Selke,
Vezina Norris, Calder and Lady Byng.
This year, according to Custance, 46.4 percent of voters were from Eastern Conference cities, 32.8 percent were from Western Conference cities and 20.8 percent were from an international chapter that doesn’t cover specific teams.
Custance also noted that a record 178 PHWA members voted this year.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 21
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)