May 10, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
It’s the lone transcontinental series in the playoffs and neither the Anaheim Ducks or Detroit Red Wings are enjoying it. With over 2,200 miles between the two cities and three time zones, it’s been exhausting for both teams.
As Brendan Savage of Mlive.com shares, the grueling life on the road in a tight playoff schedule makes it tougher for both teams.
“The worst is going back from here to the Eastern,” said Red Wings defenseman Kyle Quincey. “It’s a four- or five-hour flight with a three-hour time change. You get on a plane at 9 in the morning, you get home, the next thing you know you get back to your place and where did the day go?”
If that’s the worst of it, that can’t be too terrible, right? Between that or getting hit with a Sheldon Souray slap shot, I’ll take jet lag every time.
As for the coaches, the last thing they want to hear is gripes about travel. As Wings coach Mike Babcock told Savage, ”I think fatigue is just when you get soft between your ears, that’s all that is.”
How much do you think the Red Wings are loving their move to the Eastern Conference next year? A lot.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 0
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)