May 10, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
It’s the lone transcontinental series in the playoffs and neither the Anaheim Ducks or Detroit Red Wings are enjoying it. With over 2,200 miles between the two cities and three time zones, it’s been exhausting for both teams.
As Brendan Savage of Mlive.com shares, the grueling life on the road in a tight playoff schedule makes it tougher for both teams.
“The worst is going back from here to the Eastern,” said Red Wings defenseman Kyle Quincey. “It’s a four- or five-hour flight with a three-hour time change. You get on a plane at 9 in the morning, you get home, the next thing you know you get back to your place and where did the day go?”
If that’s the worst of it, that can’t be too terrible, right? Between that or getting hit with a Sheldon Souray slap shot, I’ll take jet lag every time.
As for the coaches, the last thing they want to hear is gripes about travel. As Wings coach Mike Babcock told Savage, “I think fatigue is just when you get soft between your ears, that’s all that is.”
How much do you think the Red Wings are loving their move to the Eastern Conference next year? A lot.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)