May 10, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
It’s the lone transcontinental series in the playoffs and neither the Anaheim Ducks or Detroit Red Wings are enjoying it. With over 2,200 miles between the two cities and three time zones, it’s been exhausting for both teams.
As Brendan Savage of Mlive.com shares, the grueling life on the road in a tight playoff schedule makes it tougher for both teams.
“The worst is going back from here to the Eastern,” said Red Wings defenseman Kyle Quincey. “It’s a four- or five-hour flight with a three-hour time change. You get on a plane at 9 in the morning, you get home, the next thing you know you get back to your place and where did the day go?”
If that’s the worst of it, that can’t be too terrible, right? Between that or getting hit with a Sheldon Souray slap shot, I’ll take jet lag every time.
As for the coaches, the last thing they want to hear is gripes about travel. As Wings coach Mike Babcock told Savage, “I think fatigue is just when you get soft between your ears, that’s all that is.”
How much do you think the Red Wings are loving their move to the Eastern Conference next year? A lot.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)