May 10, 2013, 6:26 PM EST
Shane Doan tested the free agent last summer but eventually decided to stick with the Phoenix Coyotes. Some might think that he might regret that decision after a tough season that ended a streak of playoff berths, but he told the Arizona Republic that’s not the case.*
“Not at all,” Doan said. “Not at all. Not once have I ever thought that. The group of guys in here is the reason why. Obviously I’m a huge fan of the city, the Valley. The organization has been great to me. But the group of guys that are in this room, that’s why you choose to stay and you stay.”
Head coach Dave Tippett doesn’t think many players would go in the same direction as the Coyotes’ 36-year-old captain.
“The unique situation with Shane, there’s not many players in sports right now that would take that leap of faith right now,” Tippett said. “That was a very unique situation. But you have lots of other players on our team that in a normal situation on a normal team that’s owned, they would probably be signed.”
With that in mind, it might be true that Doan isn’t your normal player.
* – Cynics might say that a four-year deal worth $21.2 million didn’t hurt that cause, either.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 4
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 65
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 134
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (134)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (116)