May 10, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
Shane Doan tested the free agent last summer but eventually decided to stick with the Phoenix Coyotes. Some might think that he might regret that decision after a tough season that ended a streak of playoff berths, but he told the Arizona Republic that’s not the case.*
“Not at all,” Doan said. “Not at all. Not once have I ever thought that. The group of guys in here is the reason why. Obviously I’m a huge fan of the city, the Valley. The organization has been great to me. But the group of guys that are in this room, that’s why you choose to stay and you stay.”
Head coach Dave Tippett doesn’t think many players would go in the same direction as the Coyotes’ 36-year-old captain.
“The unique situation with Shane, there’s not many players in sports right now that would take that leap of faith right now,” Tippett said. “That was a very unique situation. But you have lots of other players on our team that in a normal situation on a normal team that’s owned, they would probably be signed.”
With that in mind, it might be true that Doan isn’t your normal player.
* – Cynics might say that a four-year deal worth $21.2 million didn’t hurt that cause, either.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)