May 10, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
Shane Doan tested the free agent last summer but eventually decided to stick with the Phoenix Coyotes. Some might think that he might regret that decision after a tough season that ended a streak of playoff berths, but he told the Arizona Republic that’s not the case.*
“Not at all,” Doan said. “Not at all. Not once have I ever thought that. The group of guys in here is the reason why. Obviously I’m a huge fan of the city, the Valley. The organization has been great to me. But the group of guys that are in this room, that’s why you choose to stay and you stay.”
Head coach Dave Tippett doesn’t think many players would go in the same direction as the Coyotes’ 36-year-old captain.
“The unique situation with Shane, there’s not many players in sports right now that would take that leap of faith right now,” Tippett said. “That was a very unique situation. But you have lots of other players on our team that in a normal situation on a normal team that’s owned, they would probably be signed.”
With that in mind, it might be true that Doan isn’t your normal player.
* – Cynics might say that a four-year deal worth $21.2 million didn’t hurt that cause, either.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)