May 10, 2013, 11:02 PM EDT
There will be a seventh and deciding game between the Anaheim Ducks and Detroit Red Wings.
Friday presented some nervous, perhaps deflating moments for the Red Wings, but that changed when Henrik Zetterberg scored in overtime to give Detroit a 4-3 overtime win in Game 6 of the Western Conference quarter-final.
The Red Wings had a two-goal lead with less than four minutes remaining in the third period, before the Ducks scored twice in the span of 51 seconds to send the game to overtime.
Here are some talking points.
- It took six games, but Zetterberg finally scored his first goal of this series. Impeccable timing, too, but not as good as his second goal of the game.
- Go to the net and good things happen. Justin Abdelkader‘s shot from the half boards deflected off the body of Daniel Cleary and past Jonas Hiller to give Detroit a 3-1 lead in the third period.
- The Red Wings needed Jimmy Howard to be great. And he was, making several big saves in the win.
- Did Corey Perry get away with a trip on Ducks defenseman Kyle Quincey behind the net just seconds before Bobby Ryan‘s tying goal in the third period?
- While we’re on the subject of the Ducks’ comeback: what was Red Wings forward Valtteri Filppula thinking on giveaway behind the net?
- Wonder what exactly was said between Ryan Getzlaf and Todd Bertuzzi at the benches during a break in play just before the midway point of the third period?
Sep 16, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
For “outstanding service to hockey in the United States.”
Sep 16, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Veteran power forward is trying to return from another concussion.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Will the NHL be watching?
Sep 16, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT
Sounds like he got the message.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The recently signed forward hopes to stick with “powerhouse” team.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Sep 16, 2014, 12:45 AM EDT
“It’s turned the corner for the better as far as rehab has gone.”
Sep 15, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
It’s tremendous even if it was in a prospects game.
Sep 15, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Frank Corrado gets ejected for that check.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
The team says he has “full movement” following a boarding hit.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Some optimism about how his knee is feeling.
Sep 15, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Sep 15, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
More training camp invites.
Sep 15, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
He’s reportedly talking to several teams.
Sep 15, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
“I still think something will get done before camp.”
Sep 15, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
Potentially adding some depth.
Sep 15, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
Former Kings, Flames netminder lands in an interesting spot.
Sep 15, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
Veteran guy, but not the righty Mike Babcock was looking for…
Sep 15, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Because it hasn’t yet decided if it will.
Sep 15, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Also includes a similar series dedicated to the Sharks-Kings outdoor game.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 20
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 51
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39