May 10, 2013, 11:02 PM EST
There will be a seventh and deciding game between the Anaheim Ducks and Detroit Red Wings.
Friday presented some nervous, perhaps deflating moments for the Red Wings, but that changed when Henrik Zetterberg scored in overtime to give Detroit a 4-3 overtime win in Game 6 of the Western Conference quarter-final.
The Red Wings had a two-goal lead with less than four minutes remaining in the third period, before the Ducks scored twice in the span of 51 seconds to send the game to overtime.
Here are some talking points.
- It took six games, but Zetterberg finally scored his first goal of this series. Impeccable timing, too, but not as good as his second goal of the game.
- Go to the net and good things happen. Justin Abdelkader‘s shot from the half boards deflected off the body of Daniel Cleary and past Jonas Hiller to give Detroit a 3-1 lead in the third period.
- The Red Wings needed Jimmy Howard to be great. And he was, making several big saves in the win.
- Did Corey Perry get away with a trip on Ducks defenseman Kyle Quincey behind the net just seconds before Bobby Ryan‘s tying goal in the third period?
- While we’re on the subject of the Ducks’ comeback: what was Red Wings forward Valtteri Filppula thinking on giveaway behind the net?
- Wonder what exactly was said between Ryan Getzlaf and Todd Bertuzzi at the benches during a break in play just before the midway point of the third period?
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 18
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5