May 10, 2013, 10:47 PM EST
The Washington Capitals struggled to beat Henrik Lundqvist on Friday night, but they finally solved him a second time to win Game 5 2-1 in OT, taking a 3-2 series lead against the New York Rangers in the process.
Let’s roll out the talking points.
- Fans and pundits love to lob unfair criticism on Alex Ovechkin. Hopefully Lundqvist is immune to such talk since he was a huge difference-maker (and usually is), but will that be the case? Can great play by the Swedish star stave off silly “choker” talk if the Rangers fall short in the playoffs once more?
- Mike Ribeiro hasn’t had a very productive series, but he scored the game-winner. How much would Washington miss him if he bolts via free agency? How much is he worth?
- Can the Capitals end this series in Game 6?
- If not, which team is more equipped for a Game 7 victory? Could every game of this games go to the home team?
- The Caps fired 13 shots on goal to the Rangers’ four in the third period. Was that a matter of fatigue or a squad hyped up by home-ice?
- Rick Nash seemed to struggle with cramps and inconsistent play. Is this evidence that he isn’t “ready” or “built” for the playoffs or merely a bump in the road?
Dec 20, 2014, 11:51 PM EST
Minnesota has won five of its last 13 games.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:20 PM EST
They had pulled their goaltender on a delayed penalty.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
Stamkos hopes this loss will serve as a wake up call.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:43 PM EST
Ray Emery certainly got a lot of offensive help with Steve Mason out.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:17 PM EST
Montreal beat Ottawa 4-1.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:55 PM EST
It’s the third time this month New Jersey has been goalless.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:35 PM EST
Calvin Pickard had another great game.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:08 PM EST
It’s been a heated game between Pittsburgh and Florida.
Dec 20, 2014, 8:06 PM EST
It set a franchise record for both teams.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:20 PM EST
Carlyle’s been unhappy with his “very erratic” play.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
They’ve combined for 13 points in the Kings’ last two games.
Dec 20, 2014, 6:11 PM EST
He might get that opportunity this weekend.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
He might shatter some career-highs this season.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:09 PM EST
He’s shooting for Dec. 27 against Boston.
Dec 20, 2014, 4:24 PM EST
Larsson went to the AHL on a conditioning assignment.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
Saturday’s slew of starting goalies.
Dec 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EST
Tampa Bay’s top goalie faced shots this morning.
Dec 20, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
Good luck trying to forecast their lines for Saturday.
Dec 20, 2014, 1:21 PM EST
In case you missed it.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:57 PM EST
They believe that it isn’t a long-term issue.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 2
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 5
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 2
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8