May 10, 2013, 12:14 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks were nearly impossible to beat in the regular season and the Minnesota Wild couldn’t solve them in the playoffs. The Blackhawks cruised to a 5-1 victory in Game 5 to eliminate the Wild from the postseason.
Chicago’s only loss came in overtime and Blackhawks goaltender Corey Crawford allowed just seven goals this series.
Marian Hossa was the hero in this contest, netting Chicago’s first goal of the game and adding an insurance goal at 6:26 of the second period. He also picked up an assist.
Here are a few things to consider:
- Wild goaltender Josh Harding wasn’t at his best tonight, but he held his own against Chicago for most of the series. Still, would things have gone differently if Niklas Backstrom was available?
- Given recent history, it almost feels like the Chicago Blackhawks’ victory over the eighth seed Minnesota wild was in defiance of the odds. Going into the 2013 campaign, three of the last four Presidents’ Trophy winners lost their first-round series.
- Wild defenseman Ryan Suter logged 27:51 minutes in this game. He deserves a lot of credit for playing huge minutes in this series and just being an all-around great acquisition for Minnesota in his first season with the team.
- All the same, is this campaign a big setback after inking Suter and Zach Parise to massive contracts over the summer, should this season be regarded as a big disappointment for the Minnesota Wild? Or should it be dismissed as a transitional year towards something greater?
- After getting no points in his first four games of the postseason, Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews registered two assists tonight.
- If nothing else, the Minnesota Wild played a disciplined game. They were eliminated with the least penalty minutes per postseason contest in the league.
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
His availability for the season opener is in doubt.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
This should be good.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
He could face up to five years in prison.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
He was expecting a two or three year contract.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 26-year-old refuted an Ilta-Sanomat story.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.
Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”
Sep 2, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Can he beat out Cam Talbot and Ben Scrivens?
Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”
Sep 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
Another diamond in the rough?
Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (44)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)