May 10, 2013, 8:59 AM EST
The NHL’s participation in the 2014 Winter Olympics is nearly complete.
The IIHF announced today they’re even more optimistic about the NHL participating in the 2014 games in Sochi, Russia and NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly sounds all the more positive about seeing it happen as Szymon Szemberg of IIHF.com reports.
“We are proceeding under the assumption that the NHL will participate in Sochi,” Daly said. “We are still working on important issues with the IIHF and the IOC, and subject to our board of governors’ consideration and approval, it remains the objective that Sochi will be the fifth consecutive Olympics with NHL participation and where the NHL shuts down for the duration of the Olympic tournament.”
Ever since the lockout ended, there have been doubts about whether or not the NHL would go to Sochi but Daly’s words today make that seem all the more likely the pros will be back in the Olympics. As talks have progressed it’s been made to seem more likely each time that the issues present would be resolved. This is just another step in that direction.
To pile onto this, Yahoo! Sports’ Dmitry Chesnokov reports the Executive Director of the Russian Hockey Federation says the NHL will announce their participation in the Olympics once the World Championships are over. The gold medal game for Worlds is May 19.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:23 AM EST
He led Philadelphia in scoring for a while.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:12 AM EST
Russian rookie is on fire at the moment.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:10 AM EST
Have won five of their last seven. Play tonight in Vancouver.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
Hey, if you’re going to ask anybody…
Dec 9, 2013, 10:37 AM EST
Stemming from Saturday’s ugly incident vs. Boston.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:24 AM EST
It’s a Metropolitan Division throw-down.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:15 AM EST
That and the rest of the links to start your day ahead.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:11 AM EST
The check didn’t result in a penalty.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Plus the Olympics, legal matters and more.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:58 PM EST
More bad injury breaks for Boston.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:39 PM EST
“It’s getting old,” Brad Richards said.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Todd McLellan wasn’t happy on Sunday.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:53 PM EST
Good news/bad news night for Chicago.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
Is this a faux pas?
Dec 8, 2013, 8:16 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
Punishment for Varlamov’s last start or reward for Jiggy’s win?
Dec 8, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
It resulted in a broken ankle.
Dec 8, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
He expects to bring “tons of energy.”
Dec 8, 2013, 6:50 PM EST
Claude Julien believes Brendan Shanahan faces a few tough calls.
Dec 8, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
Ryan Spooner and Matt Fraser are emergency recalls.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 67
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 93
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (93)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)