May 10, 2013, 8:59 AM EDT
The NHL’s participation in the 2014 Winter Olympics is nearly complete.
The IIHF announced today they’re even more optimistic about the NHL participating in the 2014 games in Sochi, Russia and NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly sounds all the more positive about seeing it happen as Szymon Szemberg of IIHF.com reports.
“We are proceeding under the assumption that the NHL will participate in Sochi,” Daly said. “We are still working on important issues with the IIHF and the IOC, and subject to our board of governors’ consideration and approval, it remains the objective that Sochi will be the fifth consecutive Olympics with NHL participation and where the NHL shuts down for the duration of the Olympic tournament.”
Ever since the lockout ended, there have been doubts about whether or not the NHL would go to Sochi but Daly’s words today make that seem all the more likely the pros will be back in the Olympics. As talks have progressed it’s been made to seem more likely each time that the issues present would be resolved. This is just another step in that direction.
To pile onto this, Yahoo! Sports’ Dmitry Chesnokov reports the Executive Director of the Russian Hockey Federation says the NHL will announce their participation in the Olympics once the World Championships are over. The gold medal game for Worlds is May 19.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 18
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 41
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)