May 10, 2013, 8:59 AM EDT
The NHL’s participation in the 2014 Winter Olympics is nearly complete.
The IIHF announced today they’re even more optimistic about the NHL participating in the 2014 games in Sochi, Russia and NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly sounds all the more positive about seeing it happen as Szymon Szemberg of IIHF.com reports.
“We are proceeding under the assumption that the NHL will participate in Sochi,” Daly said. “We are still working on important issues with the IIHF and the IOC, and subject to our board of governors’ consideration and approval, it remains the objective that Sochi will be the fifth consecutive Olympics with NHL participation and where the NHL shuts down for the duration of the Olympic tournament.”
Ever since the lockout ended, there have been doubts about whether or not the NHL would go to Sochi but Daly’s words today make that seem all the more likely the pros will be back in the Olympics. As talks have progressed it’s been made to seem more likely each time that the issues present would be resolved. This is just another step in that direction.
To pile onto this, Yahoo! Sports’ Dmitry Chesnokov reports the Executive Director of the Russian Hockey Federation says the NHL will announce their participation in the Olympics once the World Championships are over. The gold medal game for Worlds is May 19.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 2
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)