May 10, 2013, 8:59 AM EDT
The NHL’s participation in the 2014 Winter Olympics is nearly complete.
The IIHF announced today they’re even more optimistic about the NHL participating in the 2014 games in Sochi, Russia and NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly sounds all the more positive about seeing it happen as Szymon Szemberg of IIHF.com reports.
“We are proceeding under the assumption that the NHL will participate in Sochi,” Daly said. “We are still working on important issues with the IIHF and the IOC, and subject to our board of governors’ consideration and approval, it remains the objective that Sochi will be the fifth consecutive Olympics with NHL participation and where the NHL shuts down for the duration of the Olympic tournament.”
Ever since the lockout ended, there have been doubts about whether or not the NHL would go to Sochi but Daly’s words today make that seem all the more likely the pros will be back in the Olympics. As talks have progressed it’s been made to seem more likely each time that the issues present would be resolved. This is just another step in that direction.
To pile onto this, Yahoo! Sports’ Dmitry Chesnokov reports the Executive Director of the Russian Hockey Federation says the NHL will announce their participation in the Olympics once the World Championships are over. The gold medal game for Worlds is May 19.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 2
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)