May 10, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
The assumption is that home-ice advantage often forces a road team to survive a tenacious first 10 minutes of game time, yet Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates told the Washington Times that he’s concerned about how his team will get out of the gate against the New York Rangers in Game 5.
“I’m worried about our start tonight,” Oates said. “We have to come out and have a good start and not let them feel that they’re into the game and do our best to neutralize them, and then we’ll be fine.”
Oates wasn’t thinking about his team alone. He made that observation in part because he believed the Pittsburgh Penguins didn’t look great right off the bat in their own Game 5 against the New York Islanders on Thursday.
“Quite honestly, we talked about let’s not be tight,” Oates said. “I watched the Pittsburgh game last night, and quite frankly, I thought they were a little tight early. They got through it and they got into their game.”
“I’m a little bit worried about that. You’ve got your home crowd, which should give you life, but you’ve got to make good decisions with the puck. Let’s get it in, get our legs and get into the rhythm of the game.”
Oates told the Washington Times that he believes that strong or sluggish starts played a big role in all four games of the Capitals’ series against the Rangers so far, so we’ll see if that trend holds.
Friday’s Game 5 kicks off on NBC Sports Network at 7:30 p.m. ET.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)