May 10, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues have given the Los Angeles Kings a serious battle in their first-round series, yet they find themselves down 3-2 nonetheless. Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock believes that matching the Kings’ level of play won’t be good enough to push it to a deciding Game 7.
“You have to outplay the team. You can’t expect to play at the same level and win the hockey game. It doesn’t happen,” Hitchcock said. “I’ve been in this situation a number of times and come through, and it’s been the same similar landscape. We have to outplay them today. If we play at the same level, it’s not going to be good enough.”
“I know we’re going to get their best push because they don’t want to go back to St. Louis … But I know we have it in us to outplay them.”
Despite stating a desire (if not need) to outplay the Kings, Hitchcock has seen some things that he likes from the Blues.
“For me, the way we played (in Game 5), that’s something we’ve got to build on,” Hitchcock said. “That’s all you can ask for this time of year. You need an all-in mentality and we had that. We need to come with the same mentality for Game 6.”
The two teams will face off at 10 p.m. ET on Friday. You can watch it on NBC Sports Network.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7