May 10, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues have given the Los Angeles Kings a serious battle in their first-round series, yet they find themselves down 3-2 nonetheless. Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock believes that matching the Kings’ level of play won’t be good enough to push it to a deciding Game 7.
“You have to outplay the team. You can’t expect to play at the same level and win the hockey game. It doesn’t happen,” Hitchcock said. “I’ve been in this situation a number of times and come through, and it’s been the same similar landscape. We have to outplay them today. If we play at the same level, it’s not going to be good enough.”
“I know we’re going to get their best push because they don’t want to go back to St. Louis … But I know we have it in us to outplay them.”
Despite stating a desire (if not need) to outplay the Kings, Hitchcock has seen some things that he likes from the Blues.
“For me, the way we played (in Game 5), that’s something we’ve got to build on,” Hitchcock said. “That’s all you can ask for this time of year. You need an all-in mentality and we had that. We need to come with the same mentality for Game 6.”
The two teams will face off at 10 p.m. ET on Friday. You can watch it on NBC Sports Network.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 5
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)