May 10, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues have given the Los Angeles Kings a serious battle in their first-round series, yet they find themselves down 3-2 nonetheless. Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock believes that matching the Kings’ level of play won’t be good enough to push it to a deciding Game 7.
“You have to outplay the team. You can’t expect to play at the same level and win the hockey game. It doesn’t happen,” Hitchcock said. “I’ve been in this situation a number of times and come through, and it’s been the same similar landscape. We have to outplay them today. If we play at the same level, it’s not going to be good enough.”
“I know we’re going to get their best push because they don’t want to go back to St. Louis … But I know we have it in us to outplay them.”
Despite stating a desire (if not need) to outplay the Kings, Hitchcock has seen some things that he likes from the Blues.
“For me, the way we played (in Game 5), that’s something we’ve got to build on,” Hitchcock said. “That’s all you can ask for this time of year. You need an all-in mentality and we had that. We need to come with the same mentality for Game 6.”
The two teams will face off at 10 p.m. ET on Friday. You can watch it on NBC Sports Network.
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 0
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 14
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 10
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 11
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)