May 9, 2013, 11:11 PM EDT
“Huge for us,” Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said of getting Abdelkader back. “He’s been a physical presence for us. I think he makes Z and Pav way better. That’ll really help.”
As for the hit that got Abdelkader in trouble in the first place, he conceded that if put in the same situation again he’ll “be smarter about it and target a little lower.”
Lydman suffered a head injury and won’t play in Game 6 on Friday.
If you haven’t seen Abdelkader’s hit, here it is:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 71
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5