May 9, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
Tomas Vokoun is excited — and, yes, a little nervous — to be making his first playoff appearance since 2007.
Pittsburgh’s 36-year-old backup goalie will start Game 5 tonight at home versus the Islanders; he’ll replace Marc-Andre Fleury, who struggled in Game 4’s 6-4 loss that evened the series at two games apiece.
“For me, I’m going to enjoy it,” Vokoun said Thursday morning, per NHL.com. “I wasn’t sure I was ever going to get the chance to play again in playoffs. It’s nice to have the chance. You play hockey to be in this moment. You don’t play hockey to go for morning skate, take shots and do that.
“Everybody is nervous; you wouldn’t be human if you weren’t. But I’ve played long enough and been through a lot, and hopefully that will pull me through.”
The pressure is squarely on the Penguins — one of the Stanley Cup favorites — to beat the underdog Isles tonight. If they lose, they face the prospect of a first-round elimination game on the road, and in a very hostile environment.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)