May 9, 2013, 12:52 AM EDT
There was a frightening moment in the second period of Wednesday’s game between the Detroit Red Wings and Anaheim Ducks.
Ducks’ forward Daniel Winnik drilled Red Wings’ forward Daniel Cleary from behind into the end boards. Winnik was given a major penalty for boarding, while Cleary was hurt on the play and was reported to be favoring his left arm, as per Randy Sportak of the Calgary Sun.
Cleary did return for the third period. But will this hit warrant any supplementary discipline from the NHL? Winnik was given a major, and the series will be heading into its sixth and perhaps deciding game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 22
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 12
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 7
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 15
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 56
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 23
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 63
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1