May 9, 2013, 12:52 AM EDT
There was a frightening moment in the second period of Wednesday’s game between the Detroit Red Wings and Anaheim Ducks.
Ducks’ forward Daniel Winnik drilled Red Wings’ forward Daniel Cleary from behind into the end boards. Winnik was given a major penalty for boarding, while Cleary was hurt on the play and was reported to be favoring his left arm, as per Randy Sportak of the Calgary Sun.
Cleary did return for the third period. But will this hit warrant any supplementary discipline from the NHL? Winnik was given a major, and the series will be heading into its sixth and perhaps deciding game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 7
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)