May 9, 2013, 12:52 AM EDT
There was a frightening moment in the second period of Wednesday’s game between the Detroit Red Wings and Anaheim Ducks.
Ducks’ forward Daniel Winnik drilled Red Wings’ forward Daniel Cleary from behind into the end boards. Winnik was given a major penalty for boarding, while Cleary was hurt on the play and was reported to be favoring his left arm, as per Randy Sportak of the Calgary Sun.
Cleary did return for the third period. But will this hit warrant any supplementary discipline from the NHL? Winnik was given a major, and the series will be heading into its sixth and perhaps deciding game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)