May 9, 2013, 12:52 AM EDT
There was a frightening moment in the second period of Wednesday’s game between the Detroit Red Wings and Anaheim Ducks.
Ducks’ forward Daniel Winnik drilled Red Wings’ forward Daniel Cleary from behind into the end boards. Winnik was given a major penalty for boarding, while Cleary was hurt on the play and was reported to be favoring his left arm, as per Randy Sportak of the Calgary Sun.
Cleary did return for the third period. But will this hit warrant any supplementary discipline from the NHL? Winnik was given a major, and the series will be heading into its sixth and perhaps deciding game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)