May 9, 2013, 9:17 PM EDT
Going into tonight’s action, the Los Angeles Kings and St. Louis Blues ranked first and second respectively in terms of playoff hits. However, both teams have done a solid job of staying out of the sin bin and Kings coach Darryl Sutter thinks is part of this match’s charm.
“Both teams check so well. That’s the thing,” Sutter said, according to LA Kings Insider. “Both teams try and forecheck, and they’ve probably spent more time in our zone than we’d like, but it’s been like that.
“It’s been a banging series, but it’s also the least penalized series, if you look at it, of the two [conferences]. So that tells you that both teams – the style they play and the discipline they play, and that’s why it’s a long series, and that’s why I think it’s a good series.”
It actually isn’t the least penalized series if you measure it by PIM/game, but that doesn’t render his overall point moot.
When the Kings won the Stanley Cup last year, they averaged 11.9 penalty minutes per game in the postseason and had a remarkable 92.1 penalty killing percentage. So far they haven’t done quite as well when it comes to killing off penalties, but they’ve been more disciplined.
That ability to stay physical while avoiding the penalty box should serve the winner of this series well. Meanwhile, the Kings will advance if they win Game 6 tomorrow (10:00 p.m. ET, NBCSN).
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)