May 9, 2013, 9:17 PM EST
Going into tonight’s action, the Los Angeles Kings and St. Louis Blues ranked first and second respectively in terms of playoff hits. However, both teams have done a solid job of staying out of the sin bin and Kings coach Darryl Sutter thinks is part of this match’s charm.
“Both teams check so well. That’s the thing,” Sutter said, according to LA Kings Insider. “Both teams try and forecheck, and they’ve probably spent more time in our zone than we’d like, but it’s been like that.
“It’s been a banging series, but it’s also the least penalized series, if you look at it, of the two [conferences]. So that tells you that both teams – the style they play and the discipline they play, and that’s why it’s a long series, and that’s why I think it’s a good series.”
It actually isn’t the least penalized series if you measure it by PIM/game, but that doesn’t render his overall point moot.
When the Kings won the Stanley Cup last year, they averaged 11.9 penalty minutes per game in the postseason and had a remarkable 92.1 penalty killing percentage. So far they haven’t done quite as well when it comes to killing off penalties, but they’ve been more disciplined.
That ability to stay physical while avoiding the penalty box should serve the winner of this series well. Meanwhile, the Kings will advance if they win Game 6 tomorrow (10:00 p.m. ET, NBCSN).
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)