May 9, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
Usually, when a commentator says that the puck “seems to find” a player, it’s high praise. Considering Sidney Crosby‘s recent luck, it might not be such a good thing.
Crosby suffered a “stinger” when a puck him hit in the foot and also pointed out that a Kris Letang shot missed his face “by a few inches” in Game 5, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe.
Add Thursday’s two close calls to a substantial list of questionable “puck luck” for Crosby. A puck caught him in the throat during Game 4 (prompting some to wonder if he wasn’t quite right tonight) and an ill-fated shot broke his jaw earlier this season, making for a flinch-heavy couple of months.
Really, one cannot totally blame the 25-year-old star if he wonders if it’s really worth it to go into the more dangerous areas of the ice. Then again, when you consider the fact that Crosby is still scoring highlight reel goals, it’s probably best to let him do his thing.
Considering all the close calls and scary moments, he might want to keep that gawky helmet on for as long as he can stand it, though.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 15
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)