May 9, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
After defeating the second seed Montreal Canadiens in just five games, the Senators’ official Twitter account asked this question:
— Ottawa Senators (@NHL_Sens) May 10, 2013
Those were some tremendous losses and on another team, any one of those players going down might have been enough to sink their chances of making the playoffs. Look at how the loss of Cam Ward impacted the Carolina Hurricanes or Chris Pronger‘s tragic injury has hurt the Philadelphia Flyers for evidence of that.
But the Senators found a way to fight onward and, still without Jason Spezza, their young team is going to the second round.
They certainly got some breaks along the way in this series and the Canadiens weren’t anywhere near full strength for Ottawa’s 6-1 win tonight. Still, the Senators deserve a lot of credit for not just beating Montreal, but coming one loss shy of a sweep.
What lies next for them remains to be seen. The Pittsburgh Penguins will be their next opponent if they can manage to win one of their next two games against the New York Islanders.
The Penguins have struggled against an Islanders team that, at least on paper, has a clear disadvantage. They might face similar problems in a potential series against Ottawa.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT
He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Has been playing in Finland this season.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:48 PM EDT
Click for all the odds.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
Certainly better than they were in February.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
Did you know only six players in the entire NHL have more points than Hudler?
Apr 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Wouldn’t be great news for the Kings.
Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
“I think the timetable’s still at the 12-week mark.”
Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Apr 1, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
After scoring 16 points in 15 games.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
But that’s no longer the case.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
“You guys when you’re asking me these questions, you guys want to be negative more than me.”
Apr 1, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT
After posting three straight 20-goal seasons.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT
As most expected.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
Has it been 12 weeks already?
Apr 1, 2015, 11:51 AM EDT
Currently playing for the Kingston Frontenacs.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT
Sounds like Ty Rattie is on his way up from the AHL.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Apr 1, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
New York’s first-round pick in 2012 will reportedly join AHL Hartford.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:56 AM EDT
Vancouver forward was given a five-minute interference major on the play.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 43
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 10
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22