May 9, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
After defeating the second seed Montreal Canadiens in just five games, the Senators’ official Twitter account asked this question:
— Ottawa Senators (@NHL_Sens) May 10, 2013
Those were some tremendous losses and on another team, any one of those players going down might have been enough to sink their chances of making the playoffs. Look at how the loss of Cam Ward impacted the Carolina Hurricanes or Chris Pronger‘s tragic injury has hurt the Philadelphia Flyers for evidence of that.
But the Senators found a way to fight onward and, still without Jason Spezza, their young team is going to the second round.
They certainly got some breaks along the way in this series and the Canadiens weren’t anywhere near full strength for Ottawa’s 6-1 win tonight. Still, the Senators deserve a lot of credit for not just beating Montreal, but coming one loss shy of a sweep.
What lies next for them remains to be seen. The Pittsburgh Penguins will be their next opponent if they can manage to win one of their next two games against the New York Islanders.
The Penguins have struggled against an Islanders team that, at least on paper, has a clear disadvantage. They might face similar problems in a potential series against Ottawa.
- Report: Hamilton to sign six-year deal with Flames 0
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 25
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 12
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 3
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 31
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)