May 9, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
After defeating the second seed Montreal Canadiens in just five games, the Senators’ official Twitter account asked this question:
— Ottawa Senators (@NHL_Sens) May 10, 2013
Those were some tremendous losses and on another team, any one of those players going down might have been enough to sink their chances of making the playoffs. Look at how the loss of Cam Ward impacted the Carolina Hurricanes or Chris Pronger‘s tragic injury has hurt the Philadelphia Flyers for evidence of that.
But the Senators found a way to fight onward and, still without Jason Spezza, their young team is going to the second round.
They certainly got some breaks along the way in this series and the Canadiens weren’t anywhere near full strength for Ottawa’s 6-1 win tonight. Still, the Senators deserve a lot of credit for not just beating Montreal, but coming one loss shy of a sweep.
What lies next for them remains to be seen. The Pittsburgh Penguins will be their next opponent if they can manage to win one of their next two games against the New York Islanders.
The Penguins have struggled against an Islanders team that, at least on paper, has a clear disadvantage. They might face similar problems in a potential series against Ottawa.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)