May 9, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have reportedly dismissed assistant coaches James Patrick and Kevyn Adams, according to The Buffalo News.
Patrick, 49, had been with the Sabres organization since 2005, first as a skill development coach, then promoted to assistant in 2006.
He briefly assumed head coaching duties in 2012 when former bench boss Lindy Ruff missed time due to broken ribs.
Adams, 38, was promoted from his player development role to assistant coach in 2011, after Ruff interviewed more than 30 candidates for the gig.
The firings didn’t come as a huge surprise.
Neither Patrick nor Adams was hired by newly-minted head coach Ron Rolston — in fact, both were closely tied to Ruff — and during Tuesday’s press conference, Rolston acknowledged Buffalo’s special teams needed work.
“Special teams is something we have to improve on,” Rolston said on Tuesday. “Who does that, we’re still discussing those things.”
The Sabres finished 26th on the penalty kill and 29th on the power play last season.
Of note, it appears one of the assistant coaching holdovers from the Ruff era, Teppo Numminen, has managed to avoid the axe.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 6
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)