May 9, 2013, 3:20 PM EST
The Buffalo Sabres have reportedly dismissed assistant coaches James Patrick and Kevyn Adams, according to The Buffalo News.
Patrick, 49, had been with the Sabres organization since 2005, first as a skill development coach, then promoted to assistant in 2006.
He briefly assumed head coaching duties in 2012 when former bench boss Lindy Ruff missed time due to broken ribs.
Adams, 38, was promoted from his player development role to assistant coach in 2011, after Ruff interviewed more than 30 candidates for the gig.
The firings didn’t come as a huge surprise.
Neither Patrick nor Adams was hired by newly-minted head coach Ron Rolston — in fact, both were closely tied to Ruff — and during Tuesday’s press conference, Rolston acknowledged Buffalo’s special teams needed work.
“Special teams is something we have to improve on,” Rolston said on Tuesday. “Who does that, we’re still discussing those things.”
The Sabres finished 26th on the penalty kill and 29th on the power play last season.
Of note, it appears one of the assistant coaching holdovers from the Ruff era, Teppo Numminen, has managed to avoid the axe.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)