May 9, 2013, 9:03 AM EDT
Penguins forward Jarome Iginla has spent plenty of time over his career fighting in vain just to get to the playoffs, so you can forgive him for not getting frustrated just because the eighth seed New York Islanders have managed to match Pittsburgh through four games.
“This is fun, it is,” Iginla told the Penguins’ website. “It’s a best of three, you’ve heard it said a lot. I think you enjoy it. We get ready for a bigger battle than we had last game and I think we just keep the focus there and love that challenge and I know we have a lot of great competitors in there that feel good today, that feel good and are exited to play (tonight) and are looking forward to it.”
The New York Islanders earned a 6-4 victory on Tuesday and have chased Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury from this series. Iginla is quick to credit the Islanders for playing “hard” and “great,” but he still sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
“I mean, they’re playing aggressive and we plan on matching that and finding a way to win this series,” Iginla said. “I think this could be great for us.”
Iginla has been effective in this series with a goal and seven points in four games. He’s second on the Penguins in 2013 playoff points behind Evgeni Malkin.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)