May 9, 2013, 9:03 AM EDT
Penguins forward Jarome Iginla has spent plenty of time over his career fighting in vain just to get to the playoffs, so you can forgive him for not getting frustrated just because the eighth seed New York Islanders have managed to match Pittsburgh through four games.
“This is fun, it is,” Iginla told the Penguins’ website. “It’s a best of three, you’ve heard it said a lot. I think you enjoy it. We get ready for a bigger battle than we had last game and I think we just keep the focus there and love that challenge and I know we have a lot of great competitors in there that feel good today, that feel good and are exited to play (tonight) and are looking forward to it.”
The New York Islanders earned a 6-4 victory on Tuesday and have chased Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury from this series. Iginla is quick to credit the Islanders for playing “hard” and “great,” but he still sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
“I mean, they’re playing aggressive and we plan on matching that and finding a way to win this series,” Iginla said. “I think this could be great for us.”
Iginla has been effective in this series with a goal and seven points in four games. He’s second on the Penguins in 2013 playoff points behind Evgeni Malkin.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 22
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)