Pens’ hardships haven’t demoralized Iginla

May 9, 2013, 9:03 AM EDT

Jarome Iginla

Penguins forward Jarome Iginla has spent plenty of time over his career fighting in vain just to get to the playoffs, so you can forgive him for not getting frustrated just because the eighth seed New York Islanders have managed to match Pittsburgh through four games.

“This is fun, it is,” Iginla told the Penguins’ website. “It’s a best of three, you’ve heard it said a lot. I think you enjoy it. We get ready for a bigger battle than we had last game and I think we just keep the focus there and love that challenge and I know we have a lot of great competitors in there that feel good today, that feel good and are exited to play (tonight) and are looking forward to it.”

The New York Islanders earned a 6-4 victory on Tuesday and have chased Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury from this series. Iginla is quick to credit the Islanders for playing “hard” and “great,” but he still sees the light at the end of the tunnel.

“I mean, they’re playing aggressive and we plan on matching that and finding a way to win this series,” Iginla said. “I think this could be great for us.”

Iginla has been effective in this series with a goal and seven points in four games. He’s second on the Penguins in 2013 playoff points behind Evgeni Malkin.

1. hockeywithdrawal - May 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I guess you do start to see the “pressure” after a while. The Pens are tied, but that’s ‘hardship’ for Pens, and ‘winning’ for NYI. Eh, paint it however you want, hopefully the bear will take all this as a poke and wake the eff up!

2. colossal87 - May 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Guaranteed that ol Jarome has a hat trick 2night.. This will be the best game of his career tonight, can’t wait to see this sniper dent Knobkovs shield again.

• comeonnowguys - May 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM

A guaranteed hat trick? Why stop there? Because guaranteeing four or five goals would be silly?

• f2maestro - May 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM

The only way I see Iggy becoming a factor (for the right reasons) is if he’s put back on his proper wing. Playing the off wing has made him invisible (except on the PP) as he is clearly uncomfortable playing there. Disco Dan needs to put him with Crosby and Dupuis, move Kunitz to the second with Geno/Neal and get back to what is best for the team. I don’t understand why that’s so difficult, but I’m a noname Pens fan not a professional NHL coach so we’ll see what Bylsma has planned for this evening.

• f2maestro - May 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM

…and if my Twitter feed is at all accurate, Iggy will still be on his offwing on the Geno/Neal line. Apparently switching Vokoun for Fluery is enough to the Pens’ staff.

/sigh

3. nosefacekillah - May 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I can’t what until he is sitting on his couch watching the Bruins play in the 2nd round.

4. malkinrulez - May 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I see why Flames fans love Iggy. Guy is always smiling and amazing in the locker room. I love what he has brought to the Pens.That rocket shot he has doesn’t hurt either.

5. yougotgirouxed - May 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Pens fans talk smack all day. How about we wait to see how tonight’s game works out first

• hockeywithdrawal - May 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I don’t think we can do that. But, you should be happy! If the Pens weren’t in the playoffs, Philthy fans would have absolutely NOTHING to do this month!

• ibieiniid - May 9, 2013 at 10:07 AM

sportsfreak…. how’d this one start?

• hockeywithdrawal - May 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM

A Flyer fan started it. Again.

Actually that was good-natured, though…I agree with BOTH you and sportsfreak.

Actually a lot of the time, I start it myself – I enjoy it :)

• yougotgirouxed - May 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM

“I guess you do start to see the “pressure” after a while. The Pens are tied, but that’s ‘hardship’ for Pens, and ‘winning’ for NYI”

Thats not smack talk? You, as a Pens fan think you are above everyone else. Especially Flyers fans. youre a joke

• hockeywithdrawal - May 9, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Actually I never said it wasn’t smack talk; however, I think you are on the wrong road there. From the start everyone in the media has been saying there’s so much pressure on the Pens, especially with the signings. I didn’t see that, and figured just go out and play hockey. But when the series is tied, and the media reports it as “hardship”…yeah, I start to see what they mean by that pressure.

You seem very upset, and I’m sure you have your reasons, so while I do like to talk smack as much as the next hockey fan, I will slowwwwly back away from you, and leave you to your teeth grinding, pacing, and seething.

• ibieiniid - May 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM

yeah, a flyer fan may have started it…. but he didn’t start a Flyers/Penguins argument. hockeywithdrawal started the Flyers/Pens argument. talk about your Penguins and wait til next year to bring the Flyers back into your comments. we’re talking about a Pens/Isles series.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I agree with part of that, but when someone named “yougotgirouxed” starts generalizing about the entirety of the Pens fanbase, do you REALLY think a Pens/Flyers argument hasn’t just been started?

• hockeywithdrawal - May 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM

In order for Pens fans to wait until next year for all this, Flyers fans will have to wait until next year to comment on Penguins articles. That wouldn’t be any fun for anyone.

• ibieiniid - May 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM

yougotgirouxed: forcing me to side with Penguins fans since earlier this year.

but for real, the difference is, we’re rooting for a team we don’t like to lose games they’re actually playing…. you’re talking about a ghost. i said it on the last post and i’ll say it on this one. Hockey fan first, Flyers fan second. I’m watching games, and I’m rooting for the teams i want to move on, and against the teams I don’t, just like most Flyers fans. can’t fault us for that.

• pens5829 - May 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Late tee time today?

• ibieiniid - May 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM

aaaaaaaand again.

I’ll stop now that there’s no way you can’t see who’s starting Flyers talks on Pens articles. that is all.

• pens5829 - May 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Troll articles and make dumb comments about the Pens and their fans? Expect it right back.

• ibieiniid - May 9, 2013 at 11:31 AM

i mean, do you not talk smack all day (collectively as Pens fans)? you do. should we not wait to see how the Pens play later? we should.

what the Flyers have to do with that, I have no clue.

• pens5829 - May 9, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Plenty of “smack talkin” here by dumb@ss Flyer fans (like eigglesnosuperbowls and a few others) on Pens articles. That’s why we comment.

6. homelanddefense - May 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Man, just hoping to see the Pens lose in the first round after that crap he pulled at the trade deadline.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I agree. Rights, whether civil, contractual, or otherwise, and free will…that crap has no place in North America. They should have held him at gun point and FORCED him to do what they wanted. Yes….yes that makes perfect sense.

• homelanddefense - May 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Yes, because I clearly said he should have been FORCED to play for Boston. Right? I did didnt I?

I choose to cheer against him because of the choice he made. Thats the tricky thing about our rights, they work both ways. He had his freedom of choice, and I have mine. Odd how that works isnt it?

And it would have been fine if he didnt give his GM a list of 4 teams he would accept a trade to, but then when they work out a trade say he will no longer go to one of them because he wants Pitts. He should have just said Pitts in the first place. Wasted time and effort on both sides.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Yep, you can choose that, and I can choose to cheer against you for calling his rights crap, etc.

If your boss comes to you today and says – give me four jobs you’re interested in doing here…then, of the four, he comes back to you and says – ok, these two jobs are interested in you as well…do you lose the right to say ‘ok, of those two, I like THIS one’?

I think people read too much into that “list”…there’s a lot of If/Then built into those. IF Boston was interested BUT not Pittsburgh, then maybe he’d have gone there. As it was, they both were, and he had the right to pick. Being butthurt about it or calling it ‘crap’ seems so weird to me. But, I’ll admit I did boo Hossa for exercising his own free will (more for his words afterward though and for going to the team we just played in the finals).

• homelanddefense - May 9, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Yeah, you are totally in your right to disagree with my opinion. But that doesnt make your initial comment valid. I never said he needed to come to Boston, I said Im cheering against him because he didnt. Its pretty simply really.

And your analogy isnt the same. He was asked for teams he would be willing to be traded. He gave 4. When he WAS traded to one of them, it was agreed on by both sides, he then backtracked and said he didnt want Boston. The GM then worked out a deal with Pitts. He clearly wanted Pittsburgh, he should have just told his GM that.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM

He had no way of knowing which of those four teams would be interested. They didn’t ask him for a ranking of teams by order of preference, just a list of four teams. And he clearly was NOT traded to Boston, otherwise he’d be playing for Boston. I hear they got some Jagr fella…generally speaking I’ve never known a team on the East Coast to need any reason to hate, so I’m ok with you cheering against anyone you wish. Just disagree with the “crap” he pulled statement. Later!

• homelanddefense - May 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM

The GM told Chiarelli that the deal was done. He then told Iginla, and he said he wanted Pitts. Its fairly clear what happened. Im not sure what your East Coast comments are supposed to mean, but Im glad I have your approval on my personal opinion.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM

The GM also made an offer to O’Reilly not knowing he’d have to clear waivers before he came to play there. Unfortunately, in this case, the final decision lies with the one who’s contract stipulates that the final decision lies with him. He’s been great though!

• homelanddefense - May 9, 2013 at 4:18 PM

thanks for proving my point. The final decision lies with the guy I am holding accountable.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM

As long as you understand that you are butthurt, and he was well within his rights.

• homelanddefense - May 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I never said he wasnt well within his rights, you brought up that ridiculous topic. Ive be pretty clear with my reasoning from the start. Call it butthurt if you want.

7. lostpuppysyndrome - May 9, 2013 at 10:12 AM

“…we plan on matching that and finding a way to win this series…” I reside in the great state of Minnesota and I understand all about getting s*** regarding marquee players who don’t seem to live up to expectations BUT YOU GUYS ARE FRIGGIN PITTSBURGH. “Finding a way to win this series”?!? Sure, now’s not the time to get cocky. I get that. Maybe you guys are actually so high up on yourselves that you’ve failed to notice the Islanders are giving you a serious run for your money. No offense Isles fans, but don’t start getting any delusions of grandeur. If the Isles end up winning this series, I will pull for them all the way because good f***ing on ya. However, I just can’t believe this would be an actual comment made by a player on the most elite team in the East.

8. pitpenguinsrulez - May 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I have nothing but respect for Iggy. He’s been a class act in Pittsburgh and he presents himself very well with interviews. Whether he stays or goes I won’t be complaining one bit. Classy guy and glad I picked up a pens jersey of his.

• dumbassgreg - May 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM

iggy is first class all the way. no whining ,no excuses. he is rare athlete who is actually good role model of how people should act and be .like selanne

9. axisofweasels - May 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM

of course hes happy. after 15 years on the flames, hes happy to just be in the playoffs

10. johnstone17 - May 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Hardships? What?

11. Stiller43 - May 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Yougotgirouxed,

If you havent noticed, everyone (writers and commentors on here) acts like the pens are down 0-3 just because they lost two one goal games when fleury has SUCKED.

Hockeywithdrawl was just saying that the reality is the series is tied 2-2 with the pens having home ice in a best of 3 from here. Its not time to panic.

12. ironcity6pak - May 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I live this guy, great addition to the pens and the type of resilience they need in the locker room

13. dumbassgreg - May 9, 2013 at 4:33 PM

iggy gave the flames a list . before he gave his choice after being given options. someone either boston or calgary management got excited shared it with reporter. then like some many rumors once one insider says they ll start saying it as if it fact not rumor. iggy is like selanne, st louis rare examples of true class dignity.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches