May 9, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Now, after Game 4, it was his effort (or lack thereof) in trying to stop Stepan’s second game-winner in a row.
But Capitals blog Russian Machine Never Breaks puts the blame on the other Caps on the ice, calling Ovechkin’s late straight-legged appearance a “bad visual, but that’s all.”
Ovechkin’s a winger, so Stepan — a center — wouldn’t normally be his responsibility. (Wingers take the point men.)
And perhaps Ovechkin figured he was way too late to get to Stepan anyway. Which he probably was.
And hey, at least he got a great view of an exciting moment.
At any rate, Game 5 of the series — which is now tied at two games apiece — goes Friday in Washington.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 30
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 53
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 34
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (53)