May 9, 2013, 2:40 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings had a chance to take a commanding lead on the Anaheim Ducks late in the second period, and failed.
Anaheim Ducks’ forward Daniel Winnik was handed a major penalty for boarding when he hit Daniel Cleary from behind into the end boards, giving the Red Wings a five-minute power play in which to increase what was at the time a one-goal lead on the road.
But the Red Wings were unsuccessful, and 13 seconds after the Winnik penalty expired, Ryan Getzlaf got the Ducks on even terms.
Nick Bonino would win it for Anaheim in overtime.
The Ducks took Game 5 of the Western Conference quarter-final by a final of 3-2 and now lead the series by the same advantage.
“There’s lots of coulda, woulda, shoulda stuff,” Red Wings’ head coach Mike Babcock told NHL.com.
“The bottom line is, a playoff game, we hit three posts tonight they didn’t go in. That’s life. I thought they were way better than us in the first, I thought we were way better than them in the second, I thought the third was even, and they scored in OT.”
May 6, 2015, 1:32 AM EDT
Facing elimination and possible sweep, Minnesota is frustrated.
May 6, 2015, 12:56 AM EDT
Quite a finish in Calgary.
May 6, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Similar to what happened to Martin Gelinas in 2004.
May 5, 2015, 11:41 PM EDT
Calgary can’t build momentum.
May 5, 2015, 11:12 PM EDT
Chicago has Minnesota on the brink of elimination.
May 5, 2015, 10:49 PM EDT
Game 4 is Thursday in Minnesota.
May 5, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
Chicago in control of this series right now.
May 5, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
“But it would certainly be in the right situation, with the right people.”
May 5, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
‘Hawks and Wild, Ducks and Flames.
May 5, 2015, 7:14 PM EDT
For the league’s Most Outstanding Player, voted on by NHLPA members.
May 5, 2015, 6:32 PM EDT
Punishment handed down shortly after the Montreal forward apologized publicly.
May 5, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Diminutive forward sat out Sunday with the flu.
May 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Victor Coleman’s “priority” remains the SoDo site, but if that one doesn’t work out…
May 5, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
Scoring on the Capitals hasn’t been easy for the New York Rangers.
May 5, 2015, 2:38 PM EDT
He was emotional.
May 5, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“He’s popped, he’s a person that’s carried himself with outstanding leadership.”
May 5, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT
The AHL is going to look dramatically different next season.
May 5, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
Swiss blueliner hasn’t played since Apr. 2.
May 5, 2015, 1:13 PM EDT
But will Ray Shero eventually look in that direction?
May 5, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Jordan Schroeder could draw in.
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 5
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 4
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 48
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)