May 9, 2013, 2:40 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings had a chance to take a commanding lead on the Anaheim Ducks late in the second period, and failed.
Anaheim Ducks’ forward Daniel Winnik was handed a major penalty for boarding when he hit Daniel Cleary from behind into the end boards, giving the Red Wings a five-minute power play in which to increase what was at the time a one-goal lead on the road.
But the Red Wings were unsuccessful, and 13 seconds after the Winnik penalty expired, Ryan Getzlaf got the Ducks on even terms.
Nick Bonino would win it for Anaheim in overtime.
The Ducks took Game 5 of the Western Conference quarter-final by a final of 3-2 and now lead the series by the same advantage.
“There’s lots of coulda, woulda, shoulda stuff,” Red Wings’ head coach Mike Babcock told NHL.com.
“The bottom line is, a playoff game, we hit three posts tonight they didn’t go in. That’s life. I thought they were way better than us in the first, I thought we were way better than them in the second, I thought the third was even, and they scored in OT.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)