May 9, 2013, 2:40 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings had a chance to take a commanding lead on the Anaheim Ducks late in the second period, and failed.
Anaheim Ducks’ forward Daniel Winnik was handed a major penalty for boarding when he hit Daniel Cleary from behind into the end boards, giving the Red Wings a five-minute power play in which to increase what was at the time a one-goal lead on the road.
But the Red Wings were unsuccessful, and 13 seconds after the Winnik penalty expired, Ryan Getzlaf got the Ducks on even terms.
Nick Bonino would win it for Anaheim in overtime.
The Ducks took Game 5 of the Western Conference quarter-final by a final of 3-2 and now lead the series by the same advantage.
“There’s lots of coulda, woulda, shoulda stuff,” Red Wings’ head coach Mike Babcock told NHL.com.
“The bottom line is, a playoff game, we hit three posts tonight they didn’t go in. That’s life. I thought they were way better than us in the first, I thought we were way better than them in the second, I thought the third was even, and they scored in OT.”
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 11
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 28
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)