May 9, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT
When it rains, it pours.
That was the story out of Montreal on Thursday as the Canadiens announced starting goalie Carey Price would be lost for the remainder of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal series with Ottawa due to a lower-body injury.
Price, 25, appeared to be hurt on Cory Conacher‘s game-tying tally with 23 seconds left in regulation during Game 4. He got up gingerly and appeared to be laboring while making at save at the end of regulation.
The loss is a huge one for the Habs, as Price has been arguably the club’s most important player this year.
In late April, head coach Michel Therrien responded to Price’s slumping play by saying the former All-Star netminder needed to be Montreal’s leader and best player, if the club hoped to have any success.
Price appeared in 39 games during the regular season, posting a 21-13-4 record with a .905 save percentage and 2.59 GAA.
He was 1-2 through the first four games of the playoffs with an .894 save percentage and 3.26 GAA.
Somehow, Montreal will have to battle on without him and two other key players — captain Brian Gionta, who is done for the year with torn biceps, and Lars Eller, who was knocked out of the series in Game 1 on a huge hit from Sens defenseman Eric Gryba.
Budaj will start in place of Price for Game 5. Courtesy TSN’s Brent Wallace, here’s Budaj’s postseason resume:
Peter Budaj career playoff numbers: 5gms – (0-1-0) .887 gaa 4.03 sv%. Has never started a playoff game in his career
— Brent Wallace (@tsn_wally) May 9, 2013
Oct 21, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Pretty strong vote of confidence right there.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:34 PM EDT
Scott Darling recalled from AHL Rockford.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Skating on a line with Henrik Zetterberg and Justin Abdelkader.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
The flip-side being…what if they lose?
Oct 21, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
“It’s something I really want to see,” said head coach Lindy Ruff.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
Another addition to the front office.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
The top 2015 draft prospect has impressed the Islanders’ superstar.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
He had been recovering from shoulder surgery.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Both players have missed the start of the season.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
And they’ll face Antti Raanta in goal.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Get out the swear jar.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Yeah, he was.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
It finally happened and it happened with a late goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Caught Taylor Hall with a heavy hit earlier in the game.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
Now, can they hang on for the win?
Oct 20, 2014, 11:07 PM EDT
Talking about the Oilers perhaps trading one of their young players.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Heavy hit along the boards.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
That’s about as much trash talk as you’re going to get from Willie D.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
Alex Killorn is – again, this is based on same report – out of the lineup.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 0
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 21
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)