May 9, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT
When it rains, it pours.
That was the story out of Montreal on Thursday as the Canadiens announced starting goalie Carey Price would be lost for the remainder of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal series with Ottawa due to a lower-body injury.
Price, 25, appeared to be hurt on Cory Conacher‘s game-tying tally with 23 seconds left in regulation during Game 4. He got up gingerly and appeared to be laboring while making at save at the end of regulation.
The loss is a huge one for the Habs, as Price has been arguably the club’s most important player this year.
In late April, head coach Michel Therrien responded to Price’s slumping play by saying the former All-Star netminder needed to be Montreal’s leader and best player, if the club hoped to have any success.
Price appeared in 39 games during the regular season, posting a 21-13-4 record with a .905 save percentage and 2.59 GAA.
He was 1-2 through the first four games of the playoffs with an .894 save percentage and 3.26 GAA.
Somehow, Montreal will have to battle on without him and two other key players — captain Brian Gionta, who is done for the year with torn biceps, and Lars Eller, who was knocked out of the series in Game 1 on a huge hit from Sens defenseman Eric Gryba.
Budaj will start in place of Price for Game 5. Courtesy TSN’s Brent Wallace, here’s Budaj’s postseason resume:
Peter Budaj career playoff numbers: 5gms – (0-1-0) .887 gaa 4.03 sv%. Has never started a playoff game in his career
— Brent Wallace (@tsn_wally) May 9, 2013
Jun 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
Calgary’s GM responded to comments in a Boston Herald story regarding defenseman Dougie Hamilton.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
A total of seven players involved in Tuesday’s trade.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
RFA defenseman appeared in a career-high 76 games last year.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Rangers and Bruins let their respective rearguards walk, thereby deepening the free agent pool.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
So says his agent.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:41 PM EDT
Jun 30, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT
Cap hit around $5.75 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Former first-round pick is relieved after a “stressful” last few days.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Who might be interested?
Jun 30, 2015, 1:14 PM EDT
Former Buffalo forward had three points in six playoff games for Montreal.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Don Sweeney. Busy man.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
33-year-old had 14 goals and 38 points last year.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Six goals in 57 games last season.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:53 AM EDT
More Boston news.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
The latest in an ongoing saga.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Jun 30, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
“This doesn’t keep me awake at night. Since the day we got Dougie Hamilton, I’ve had the best sleeps of the past few years. “
Jun 30, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
With Antti Raanta gone, he’s now set as the backup’s backup.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
26-year-old defenseman has missed just one game over the last two years.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:23 AM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $2.9 million.
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 26
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 37
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 8
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 44
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 105
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)