May 9, 2013, 11:56 PM EDT
Montreal’s series against Ottawa was perhaps the most heated of the first round and both coaches got involved in the war of words. However, now that the Senators have eliminated the Canadiens, both bench bosses are putting that behind them.
“Series over, Paul MacLean did a good job,” Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said of his counterpart to reporters. “I’m not going to deny that. He’s a good coach, did a good job.”
Senators coach MacLean started his postgame press conference by praising the Canadiens, according to the Ottawa Citizen.
“I thought it was great fun,” MacLean said about the series and disputed the notion that the series got bitter. He added that he thought Therrien did an outstanding job with the Montreal Canadiens, especially given that they were in the Eastern Conference basement in 2011-12.
So with the series behind us, here’s a handful of the memorable exchanges that it left us with:
“(If I’m Eller), I’m really mad at (Diaz), whoever he is, because he passed me the puck in the middle of the rink when I wasn’t looking,” said MacLean, regarding Eric Gryba‘s hit on Lars Eller, which sent the latter player to the hospital.
Therrien said MacLean had “no respect for player on the player on ice, bleeding” while Canadiens forward Brandon Prust called MacLean a “bug-eyed fat walrus.”
The Canadiens coach also felt Ottawa’s late third period timeout during the Senators’ 6-1 win on Sunday was “classless.”
MacLean responded by saying, “I’m classless? This is another disrespectful thing? They were doing a good job of (humiliating) themselves … [they] don’t need my help.”
He added that he took the timeout to protect his players in a game where the two teams accumulated 234 combined penalty minutes.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 15
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 69
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 91
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)