May 9, 2013, 11:56 PM EDT
Montreal’s series against Ottawa was perhaps the most heated of the first round and both coaches got involved in the war of words. However, now that the Senators have eliminated the Canadiens, both bench bosses are putting that behind them.
“Series over, Paul MacLean did a good job,” Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said of his counterpart to reporters. “I’m not going to deny that. He’s a good coach, did a good job.”
Senators coach MacLean started his postgame press conference by praising the Canadiens, according to the Ottawa Citizen.
“I thought it was great fun,” MacLean said about the series and disputed the notion that the series got bitter. He added that he thought Therrien did an outstanding job with the Montreal Canadiens, especially given that they were in the Eastern Conference basement in 2011-12.
So with the series behind us, here’s a handful of the memorable exchanges that it left us with:
“(If I’m Eller), I’m really mad at (Diaz), whoever he is, because he passed me the puck in the middle of the rink when I wasn’t looking,” said MacLean, regarding Eric Gryba‘s hit on Lars Eller, which sent the latter player to the hospital.
Therrien said MacLean had “no respect for player on the player on ice, bleeding” while Canadiens forward Brandon Prust called MacLean a “bug-eyed fat walrus.”
The Canadiens coach also felt Ottawa’s late third period timeout during the Senators’ 6-1 win on Sunday was “classless.”
MacLean responded by saying, “I’m classless? This is another disrespectful thing? They were doing a good job of (humiliating) themselves … [they] don’t need my help.”
He added that he took the timeout to protect his players in a game where the two teams accumulated 234 combined penalty minutes.
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 19
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)