May 9, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens were one of the surprise stories of the 2013 season, but it all came crashing down against a team that defied even bigger odds. The Ottawa Senators finished the Habs off 4-1 in their first-round series thanks to a 6-1 win on Thursday.
Let’s discuss it.
- Where would you rank Craig Anderson among the remaining playoff goalies after his masterful work in this series. He was clearly the No. 1 difference-maker in these five games.
- Should Habs fans look back at this finish as merely a tough break or a foreboding sign of the future? A squad that seemed to play over their heads, going 4-6-0 in their last 10 regular season games before getting booted in these five games.
- How long of a summer was this for Carey Price? He didn’t even get to play in net during Montreal’s final contest.
- Michel Therrien enjoyed a masterful season that ended horribly. Will Canadiens fans and the press give him some leeway or will the heat turn up quickly if 2013-14 begins with a whimper?
- So, is it already safe to say that the Erik Karlsson gamble paid off for Ottawa?
- How much credit does Sens head coach Paul MacLean deserve?
- Finally, are the Senators a dangerous opponent for the East’s top seed in round two or could this Cinderella run fall short?
- Just in case you’re wondering after all the drama, coaches MacLean and Therrien did shake hands after the series was over. They didn’t hug it out, though.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 7
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 80
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 74
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 64
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 41
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 74
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (83)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (76)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (74)