May 9, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens were one of the surprise stories of the 2013 season, but it all came crashing down against a team that defied even bigger odds. The Ottawa Senators finished the Habs off 4-1 in their first-round series thanks to a 6-1 win on Thursday.
Let’s discuss it.
- Where would you rank Craig Anderson among the remaining playoff goalies after his masterful work in this series. He was clearly the No. 1 difference-maker in these five games.
- Should Habs fans look back at this finish as merely a tough break or a foreboding sign of the future? A squad that seemed to play over their heads, going 4-6-0 in their last 10 regular season games before getting booted in these five games.
- How long of a summer was this for Carey Price? He didn’t even get to play in net during Montreal’s final contest.
- Michel Therrien enjoyed a masterful season that ended horribly. Will Canadiens fans and the press give him some leeway or will the heat turn up quickly if 2013-14 begins with a whimper?
- So, is it already safe to say that the Erik Karlsson gamble paid off for Ottawa?
- How much credit does Sens head coach Paul MacLean deserve?
- Finally, are the Senators a dangerous opponent for the East’s top seed in round two or could this Cinderella run fall short?
- Just in case you’re wondering after all the drama, coaches MacLean and Therrien did shake hands after the series was over. They didn’t hug it out, though.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (63)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)