May 9, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens were one of the surprise stories of the 2013 season, but it all came crashing down against a team that defied even bigger odds. The Ottawa Senators finished the Habs off 4-1 in their first-round series thanks to a 6-1 win on Thursday.
Let’s discuss it.
- Where would you rank Craig Anderson among the remaining playoff goalies after his masterful work in this series. He was clearly the No. 1 difference-maker in these five games.
- Should Habs fans look back at this finish as merely a tough break or a foreboding sign of the future? A squad that seemed to play over their heads, going 4-6-0 in their last 10 regular season games before getting booted in these five games.
- How long of a summer was this for Carey Price? He didn’t even get to play in net during Montreal’s final contest.
- Michel Therrien enjoyed a masterful season that ended horribly. Will Canadiens fans and the press give him some leeway or will the heat turn up quickly if 2013-14 begins with a whimper?
- So, is it already safe to say that the Erik Karlsson gamble paid off for Ottawa?
- How much credit does Sens head coach Paul MacLean deserve?
- Finally, are the Senators a dangerous opponent for the East’s top seed in round two or could this Cinderella run fall short?
- Just in case you’re wondering after all the drama, coaches MacLean and Therrien did shake hands after the series was over. They didn’t hug it out, though.
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 24
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 2
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 32
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 84
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)