May 9, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens were one of the surprise stories of the 2013 season, but it all came crashing down against a team that defied even bigger odds. The Ottawa Senators finished the Habs off 4-1 in their first-round series thanks to a 6-1 win on Thursday.
Let’s discuss it.
- Where would you rank Craig Anderson among the remaining playoff goalies after his masterful work in this series. He was clearly the No. 1 difference-maker in these five games.
- Should Habs fans look back at this finish as merely a tough break or a foreboding sign of the future? A squad that seemed to play over their heads, going 4-6-0 in their last 10 regular season games before getting booted in these five games.
- How long of a summer was this for Carey Price? He didn’t even get to play in net during Montreal’s final contest.
- Michel Therrien enjoyed a masterful season that ended horribly. Will Canadiens fans and the press give him some leeway or will the heat turn up quickly if 2013-14 begins with a whimper?
- So, is it already safe to say that the Erik Karlsson gamble paid off for Ottawa?
- How much credit does Sens head coach Paul MacLean deserve?
- Finally, are the Senators a dangerous opponent for the East’s top seed in round two or could this Cinderella run fall short?
- Just in case you’re wondering after all the drama, coaches MacLean and Therrien did shake hands after the series was over. They didn’t hug it out, though.
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 0
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 1
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 6
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 32
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)