May 9, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens were one of the surprise stories of the 2013 season, but it all came crashing down against a team that defied even bigger odds. The Ottawa Senators finished the Habs off 4-1 in their first-round series thanks to a 6-1 win on Thursday.
Let’s discuss it.
- Where would you rank Craig Anderson among the remaining playoff goalies after his masterful work in this series. He was clearly the No. 1 difference-maker in these five games.
- Should Habs fans look back at this finish as merely a tough break or a foreboding sign of the future? A squad that seemed to play over their heads, going 4-6-0 in their last 10 regular season games before getting booted in these five games.
- How long of a summer was this for Carey Price? He didn’t even get to play in net during Montreal’s final contest.
- Michel Therrien enjoyed a masterful season that ended horribly. Will Canadiens fans and the press give him some leeway or will the heat turn up quickly if 2013-14 begins with a whimper?
- So, is it already safe to say that the Erik Karlsson gamble paid off for Ottawa?
- How much credit does Sens head coach Paul MacLean deserve?
- Finally, are the Senators a dangerous opponent for the East’s top seed in round two or could this Cinderella run fall short?
- Just in case you’re wondering after all the drama, coaches MacLean and Therrien did shake hands after the series was over. They didn’t hug it out, though.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 0
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)