May 9, 2013, 9:40 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins made enough changes in Game 5 against the New York Islanders that Thursday night ended up looking a lot like the opening game of this first-round series. The Penguins ended up winning 4-0.
Let’s get chatting.
- In an odd twist, two Penguins goalies now have shutouts in this series. Marc-Andre Fleury produced a goose egg in Game 1 while Tomas Vokoun managed to do so tonight.
- Another parallel: Evgeni Nabokov was chased from the game. This sequence didn’t exactly help the aging Russian netminder’s cause:
- So, should the Islanders actually consider giving Kevin Poulin a start or is it Nabokov or bust? The team’s hot run occasionally meant out-scoring their problems, as the veteran’s work has been hit-or-miss in 2013.
- Before the game got out of hand, many observers noted that Sidney Crosby and Kris Letang haven’t looked quite right at times. The results argue otherwise, but how accurate could that be? Should Pittsburgh be worried if so?
- Can the Islanders bounce back from this 3-2 series deficit?
- Has your viewpoint of the Penguins’ status as a Stanley Cup contender changed? If so, how?
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 124
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 95
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 107
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (126)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (126)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (111)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (96)