May 9, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins made enough changes in Game 5 against the New York Islanders that Thursday night ended up looking a lot like the opening game of this first-round series. The Penguins ended up winning 4-0.
Let’s get chatting.
- In an odd twist, two Penguins goalies now have shutouts in this series. Marc-Andre Fleury produced a goose egg in Game 1 while Tomas Vokoun managed to do so tonight.
- Another parallel: Evgeni Nabokov was chased from the game. This sequence didn’t exactly help the aging Russian netminder’s cause:
- So, should the Islanders actually consider giving Kevin Poulin a start or is it Nabokov or bust? The team’s hot run occasionally meant out-scoring their problems, as the veteran’s work has been hit-or-miss in 2013.
- Before the game got out of hand, many observers noted that Sidney Crosby and Kris Letang haven’t looked quite right at times. The results argue otherwise, but how accurate could that be? Should Pittsburgh be worried if so?
- Can the Islanders bounce back from this 3-2 series deficit?
- Has your viewpoint of the Penguins’ status as a Stanley Cup contender changed? If so, how?
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 10
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 21
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 23
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)