May 9, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins made enough changes in Game 5 against the New York Islanders that Thursday night ended up looking a lot like the opening game of this first-round series. The Penguins ended up winning 4-0.
Let’s get chatting.
- In an odd twist, two Penguins goalies now have shutouts in this series. Marc-Andre Fleury produced a goose egg in Game 1 while Tomas Vokoun managed to do so tonight.
- Another parallel: Evgeni Nabokov was chased from the game. This sequence didn’t exactly help the aging Russian netminder’s cause:
- So, should the Islanders actually consider giving Kevin Poulin a start or is it Nabokov or bust? The team’s hot run occasionally meant out-scoring their problems, as the veteran’s work has been hit-or-miss in 2013.
- Before the game got out of hand, many observers noted that Sidney Crosby and Kris Letang haven’t looked quite right at times. The results argue otherwise, but how accurate could that be? Should Pittsburgh be worried if so?
- Can the Islanders bounce back from this 3-2 series deficit?
- Has your viewpoint of the Penguins’ status as a Stanley Cup contender changed? If so, how?
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 2
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)