May 9, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins made enough changes in Game 5 against the New York Islanders that Thursday night ended up looking a lot like the opening game of this first-round series. The Penguins ended up winning 4-0.
Let’s get chatting.
- In an odd twist, two Penguins goalies now have shutouts in this series. Marc-Andre Fleury produced a goose egg in Game 1 while Tomas Vokoun managed to do so tonight.
- Another parallel: Evgeni Nabokov was chased from the game. This sequence didn’t exactly help the aging Russian netminder’s cause:
- So, should the Islanders actually consider giving Kevin Poulin a start or is it Nabokov or bust? The team’s hot run occasionally meant out-scoring their problems, as the veteran’s work has been hit-or-miss in 2013.
- Before the game got out of hand, many observers noted that Sidney Crosby and Kris Letang haven’t looked quite right at times. The results argue otherwise, but how accurate could that be? Should Pittsburgh be worried if so?
- Can the Islanders bounce back from this 3-2 series deficit?
- Has your viewpoint of the Penguins’ status as a Stanley Cup contender changed? If so, how?
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 21
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)