May 9, 2013, 1:15 AM EST
The Anaheim Ducks are on the verge of pushing through to the second round of the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Ducks won Game 5 of their Western Conference quarter-final against the Detroit Red Wings and now lead the series three-games-to-two.
- That was Bonino’s third of these playoffs.
- For the first time in this series, the Ducks won in overtime. Bucking the trend.
- Ducks’ forward Daniel Winnik was given a major penalty for boarding in the second period for hitting Red Wings’ forward Daniel Cleary from behind into the end boards. Is further discipline coming? Or needed?
- Both goalies were good right from the outset of this game. Jimmy Howard made 31 saves in the loss. Jonas Hiller made 29 saves. Here’s a look at some of Howard’s work.
- With the Red Wings leading and only 32 seconds remaining in the second period, Ryan Getzlaf showed incredible patience and then wired a perfect wrist shot to tie the game. He’s got three in this post-season.
- Three of the four games played throughout the league on Wednesday went to overtime. Love it.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 2
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 5
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 2
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8