May 9, 2013, 10:07 AM EST
This award (previously known as the Lester B. Pearson Award) goes to the “most outstanding player” as voted on by their peers. The emphasis is on outstanding, while the Hart Memorial Trophy goes to the most valuable player.
Crosby would have been the run away winner for this award, but his season ended abruptly when he took a puck to the face and suffered a broken jaw. All the same, he tied for third in the league with 56 points in just 36 games. It’s not a factor for this award, but he has of course returned in the playoffs, posting six points in three games versus the Islanders. He previously claimed this award back in 2007.
At 37 years old, St. Louis became the oldest winner of the Art Ross Trophy with 60 points in just 48 games. He’s one of those rare players that just seems to be getting better with age, although obviously getting playing time with Steven Stamkos hasn’t hurt.
Ovechkin got off to a sluggish start this season, but finished 2013 with an incredible 22 goals in his last 21 games. That propelled him to win his third Rocket Richard Trophy with 32 goals and 48 games. It’s also one of the main reasons Washington was able to shake of its bad start to the season and win the Southeast Division.
Ovechkin has already won this award three times. Wayne Gretzky won a record five times, while Mario Lemieux claimed it four times.
One notable player that didn’t make the cut is Stamkos, who had the mirror image season of Ovechkin. Stamkos scored an incredible 25 goals in his first 34 games, but fizzled out in the final month of the season. His team collapsed along with him and they missed the playoffs, but Stamkos still gave them 29 goals and 28 assists in 48 games this season.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:59 AM EST
Darryl Sutter must like what he sees with the advantage.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 AM EST
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Rangers are playing OK.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Battle of California tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been dealing with a back injury.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)