May 9, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT
This award (previously known as the Lester B. Pearson Award) goes to the “most outstanding player” as voted on by their peers. The emphasis is on outstanding, while the Hart Memorial Trophy goes to the most valuable player.
Crosby would have been the run away winner for this award, but his season ended abruptly when he took a puck to the face and suffered a broken jaw. All the same, he tied for third in the league with 56 points in just 36 games. It’s not a factor for this award, but he has of course returned in the playoffs, posting six points in three games versus the Islanders. He previously claimed this award back in 2007.
At 37 years old, St. Louis became the oldest winner of the Art Ross Trophy with 60 points in just 48 games. He’s one of those rare players that just seems to be getting better with age, although obviously getting playing time with Steven Stamkos hasn’t hurt.
Ovechkin got off to a sluggish start this season, but finished 2013 with an incredible 22 goals in his last 21 games. That propelled him to win his third Rocket Richard Trophy with 32 goals and 48 games. It’s also one of the main reasons Washington was able to shake of its bad start to the season and win the Southeast Division.
Ovechkin has already won this award three times. Wayne Gretzky won a record five times, while Mario Lemieux claimed it four times.
One notable player that didn’t make the cut is Stamkos, who had the mirror image season of Ovechkin. Stamkos scored an incredible 25 goals in his first 34 games, but fizzled out in the final month of the season. His team collapsed along with him and they missed the playoffs, but Stamkos still gave them 29 goals and 28 assists in 48 games this season.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
He was fired by Toronto back in April.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
Doug Armstrong dipped into the free agency pool Thursday evening for some depth signings.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
They’re two-way contracts worth $650,000.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
He’s looking forward to playing with Ovechkin and Backstrom in Washington.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
They’ve also inked UFA Jordan Caron.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s a one-year, two-way deal.
Jul 2, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Washington continues to load up.
Jul 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
There’s no “timetables for next steps,” according to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The 27-year-old is looking forward to a fresh start in Pittsburgh.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:34 PM EDT
Acquired from Toronto at last year’s trade deadline.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Leagues will continue to respect each other’s contracts. But that’s it.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:52 PM EDT
Pleads no contest to misdemeanor count of corporal injury to a spouse.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:11 PM EDT
Boughner coached against DeBoer in the OHL, Hedberg played for him in New Jersey.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:02 PM EDT
The Mike Gillis era is just a memory now.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
Former Hart Trophy winner announced his retirement on Thursday.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
Pittsburgh? Florida? New Jersey? KHL?
Jul 2, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
“At some point Justin became more affordable to us, and we started to lean his way.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
“At the end of the day, nobody wants to get traded two times. But it’s a learning curve.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
But reports suggest Edmonton, Columbus and Philly are interested.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)