May 9, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT
This award (previously known as the Lester B. Pearson Award) goes to the “most outstanding player” as voted on by their peers. The emphasis is on outstanding, while the Hart Memorial Trophy goes to the most valuable player.
Crosby would have been the run away winner for this award, but his season ended abruptly when he took a puck to the face and suffered a broken jaw. All the same, he tied for third in the league with 56 points in just 36 games. It’s not a factor for this award, but he has of course returned in the playoffs, posting six points in three games versus the Islanders. He previously claimed this award back in 2007.
At 37 years old, St. Louis became the oldest winner of the Art Ross Trophy with 60 points in just 48 games. He’s one of those rare players that just seems to be getting better with age, although obviously getting playing time with Steven Stamkos hasn’t hurt.
Ovechkin got off to a sluggish start this season, but finished 2013 with an incredible 22 goals in his last 21 games. That propelled him to win his third Rocket Richard Trophy with 32 goals and 48 games. It’s also one of the main reasons Washington was able to shake of its bad start to the season and win the Southeast Division.
Ovechkin has already won this award three times. Wayne Gretzky won a record five times, while Mario Lemieux claimed it four times.
One notable player that didn’t make the cut is Stamkos, who had the mirror image season of Ovechkin. Stamkos scored an incredible 25 goals in his first 34 games, but fizzled out in the final month of the season. His team collapsed along with him and they missed the playoffs, but Stamkos still gave them 29 goals and 28 assists in 48 games this season.
Sep 23, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
The jump to Xbox One and Playstation 4 has been bumpy.
Sep 23, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
“It’s nothing new to me.”
Sep 23, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
That was quick.
Sep 23, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
So, you know, hurry up and sign, kid.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
And Erik Karlsson’s the favorite to win the Norris.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
Which will reportedly begin in September of 2016.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
First part of the two-part series starts in December.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Who will Ted Nolan choose?
Sep 23, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Courtesy a Beau Bennett high stick.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Incident occurred during last night’s win over the Rangers.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
Lightning rookie will miss at least the first few games of the regular season.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
He’s establishing what he expects early.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Is Detroit in for another injury-filled year?
Sep 23, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT
That’s a picture of Marguerite Moreau, who played Connie.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Mitts were dropped. Frequently.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Good start for a guy on a two-way deal.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
Like Vancouver, for example.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
“We’ve got to wait to see how it heals.”
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)