May 9, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT
This award (previously known as the Lester B. Pearson Award) goes to the “most outstanding player” as voted on by their peers. The emphasis is on outstanding, while the Hart Memorial Trophy goes to the most valuable player.
Crosby would have been the run away winner for this award, but his season ended abruptly when he took a puck to the face and suffered a broken jaw. All the same, he tied for third in the league with 56 points in just 36 games. It’s not a factor for this award, but he has of course returned in the playoffs, posting six points in three games versus the Islanders. He previously claimed this award back in 2007.
At 37 years old, St. Louis became the oldest winner of the Art Ross Trophy with 60 points in just 48 games. He’s one of those rare players that just seems to be getting better with age, although obviously getting playing time with Steven Stamkos hasn’t hurt.
Ovechkin got off to a sluggish start this season, but finished 2013 with an incredible 22 goals in his last 21 games. That propelled him to win his third Rocket Richard Trophy with 32 goals and 48 games. It’s also one of the main reasons Washington was able to shake of its bad start to the season and win the Southeast Division.
Ovechkin has already won this award three times. Wayne Gretzky won a record five times, while Mario Lemieux claimed it four times.
One notable player that didn’t make the cut is Stamkos, who had the mirror image season of Ovechkin. Stamkos scored an incredible 25 goals in his first 34 games, but fizzled out in the final month of the season. His team collapsed along with him and they missed the playoffs, but Stamkos still gave them 29 goals and 28 assists in 48 games this season.
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 9
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 11
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 7
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 29
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)