May 8, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
All these outdoor hockey games have given the Dallas Stars an idea — what about Cowboys Stadium?
Per the Star-Telegram, Stars president Jim Lites said Tuesday that the 85,000-seat football stadium with the retractable roof — which has also hosted an NBA All-Star Game, a Manny Pacquiao fight, concerts, and more — is very much on the club’s radar.
“We could do it at the Cotton Bowl, but Cowboys Stadium makes more sense because of the cachet of the building,” Lites said. “You would do it in January or February, and open the roof. You can turn down the temperature of the ice to zero degrees.
“What we have at the time of year is not really a temperature issue, but it’s the rain. It’s seldom humid at that time of year, but it does rain.”
It wouldn’t happen next year though, said Lites. Maybe the year after.
There are already six outdoor games planned for 2014 (though only three of them have been formally announced.)
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 39
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 60
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 23
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 63
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1