May 8, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
All these outdoor hockey games have given the Dallas Stars an idea — what about Cowboys Stadium?
Per the Star-Telegram, Stars president Jim Lites said Tuesday that the 85,000-seat football stadium with the retractable roof — which has also hosted an NBA All-Star Game, a Manny Pacquiao fight, concerts, and more — is very much on the club’s radar.
“We could do it at the Cotton Bowl, but Cowboys Stadium makes more sense because of the cachet of the building,” Lites said. “You would do it in January or February, and open the roof. You can turn down the temperature of the ice to zero degrees.
“What we have at the time of year is not really a temperature issue, but it’s the rain. It’s seldom humid at that time of year, but it does rain.”
It wouldn’t happen next year though, said Lites. Maybe the year after.
There are already six outdoor games planned for 2014 (though only three of them have been formally announced.)
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54