May 8, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
All these outdoor hockey games have given the Dallas Stars an idea — what about Cowboys Stadium?
Per the Star-Telegram, Stars president Jim Lites said Tuesday that the 85,000-seat football stadium with the retractable roof — which has also hosted an NBA All-Star Game, a Manny Pacquiao fight, concerts, and more — is very much on the club’s radar.
“We could do it at the Cotton Bowl, but Cowboys Stadium makes more sense because of the cachet of the building,” Lites said. “You would do it in January or February, and open the roof. You can turn down the temperature of the ice to zero degrees.
“What we have at the time of year is not really a temperature issue, but it’s the rain. It’s seldom humid at that time of year, but it does rain.”
It wouldn’t happen next year though, said Lites. Maybe the year after.
There are already six outdoor games planned for 2014 (though only three of them have been formally announced.)
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)