May 8, 2013, 3:43 PM EST
Jason Spezza‘s recovery from back surgery is progressing, but a return to the Senators’ lineup remains a ways off.
According to Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean, Spezza — the Sens’ leading scorer last season — has moved on to the “next stage” of rehab (past the “public skate” stage) and has had his workload increased.
Spezza still isn’t practicing with the team though, and he’ll need to do that before he returns to game action.
The 29-year-old forward, who finished fourth in the NHL in points (84) last year, underwent surgery to fix a herniated disc on Feb. 1.
Here’s MacLean addressing Spezza’s status:
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2