May 8, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
Jason Spezza‘s recovery from back surgery is progressing, but a return to the Senators’ lineup remains a ways off.
According to Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean, Spezza — the Sens’ leading scorer last season — has moved on to the “next stage” of rehab (past the “public skate” stage) and has had his workload increased.
Spezza still isn’t practicing with the team though, and he’ll need to do that before he returns to game action.
The 29-year-old forward, who finished fourth in the NHL in points (84) last year, underwent surgery to fix a herniated disc on Feb. 1.
Here’s MacLean addressing Spezza’s status:
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63