May 8, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs are down 3-1 in their first-round series against the Boston Bruins after David Krejci scored the deciding goal tonight after 13:06 minutes of overtime.
Krejci deserves a lot of credit for his efforts in this game, but the play started when Toronto’s Dion Phaneuf attempted to level Nathan Horton in the Leafs’ zone, but largely appeared to hit Horton’s stick instead. Phaneuf temporarily lost his balance and disrupted his own teammates’ ability to follow the play as he tried to remain upright.
That allowed Krejci to drive all the way to Maple Leafs goaltender James Reimer without major resistance.
You can watch the play below:
“It’s a bad mistake, and a bad time to make it,” Phaneuf admitted, according to Sportsnet’s John Shannon. “I take responsibility for it. And it’s unacceptable.”
Phaneuf led the Maple Leafs in playing time (31:14 minutes), hits (10), and blocked shots (six). He also finished with a minus-two rating.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 6
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 38
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 16
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)