May 8, 2013, 11:22 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs are down 3-1 in their first-round series against the Boston Bruins after David Krejci scored the deciding goal tonight after 13:06 minutes of overtime.
Krejci deserves a lot of credit for his efforts in this game, but the play started when Toronto’s Dion Phaneuf attempted to level Nathan Horton in the Leafs’ zone, but largely appeared to hit Horton’s stick instead. Phaneuf temporarily lost his balance and disrupted his own teammates’ ability to follow the play as he tried to remain upright.
That allowed Krejci to drive all the way to Maple Leafs goaltender James Reimer without major resistance.
You can watch the play below:
“It’s a bad mistake, and a bad time to make it,” Phaneuf admitted, according to Sportsnet’s John Shannon. “I take responsibility for it. And it’s unacceptable.”
Phaneuf led the Maple Leafs in playing time (31:14 minutes), hits (10), and blocked shots (six). He also finished with a minus-two rating.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)