May 8, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs are down 3-1 in their first-round series against the Boston Bruins after David Krejci scored the deciding goal tonight after 13:06 minutes of overtime.
Krejci deserves a lot of credit for his efforts in this game, but the play started when Toronto’s Dion Phaneuf attempted to level Nathan Horton in the Leafs’ zone, but largely appeared to hit Horton’s stick instead. Phaneuf temporarily lost his balance and disrupted his own teammates’ ability to follow the play as he tried to remain upright.
That allowed Krejci to drive all the way to Maple Leafs goaltender James Reimer without major resistance.
You can watch the play below:
“It’s a bad mistake, and a bad time to make it,” Phaneuf admitted, according to Sportsnet’s John Shannon. “I take responsibility for it. And it’s unacceptable.”
Phaneuf led the Maple Leafs in playing time (31:14 minutes), hits (10), and blocked shots (six). He also finished with a minus-two rating.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)