May 8, 2013, 6:14 PM EDT
After the contest, McDonagh suggested that he was exploiting Ovechkin’s fatigue while Capitals coach Adam Oates suggested that it was actually his fault for not getting Ovechkin into a good enough rhythm.
Today, Ovechkin defended himself, saying that he felt normal, and then took a bit of a jab at McDonagh and his defensive partner, Dan Girardi.
“McDonagh is a good skater but they don’t play a physical game,” he told CSN Washington. “So that’s kind of nice to know that when you go to the corner they aren’t going to hit you because they play too much minutes out there and their energy level is going down. They block shots, they play safe and it’s a challenge.”
McDonagh has averaged 22:47 minutes per postseason game and ranks near the bottom of the team with four hits. Girardi has been credited with seven hits while logging a team-high 25:59 minutes per match.
Girardi and McDonagh have typically played against the Capitals’ top line and so far they’ve limited Ovechkin to a goal and an assist.
Game 4 will start at 7:30 p.m. ET and the Washington Capitals have a 2-1 series lead.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)