May 8, 2013, 6:14 PM EDT
After the contest, McDonagh suggested that he was exploiting Ovechkin’s fatigue while Capitals coach Adam Oates suggested that it was actually his fault for not getting Ovechkin into a good enough rhythm.
Today, Ovechkin defended himself, saying that he felt normal, and then took a bit of a jab at McDonagh and his defensive partner, Dan Girardi.
“McDonagh is a good skater but they don’t play a physical game,” he told CSN Washington. “So that’s kind of nice to know that when you go to the corner they aren’t going to hit you because they play too much minutes out there and their energy level is going down. They block shots, they play safe and it’s a challenge.”
McDonagh has averaged 22:47 minutes per postseason game and ranks near the bottom of the team with four hits. Girardi has been credited with seven hits while logging a team-high 25:59 minutes per match.
Girardi and McDonagh have typically played against the Capitals’ top line and so far they’ve limited Ovechkin to a goal and an assist.
Game 4 will start at 7:30 p.m. ET and the Washington Capitals have a 2-1 series lead.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)