May 8, 2013, 5:46 PM EDT
PK Subban isn’t lacking confidence.
Down 3-1 to Ottawa in the Eastern Conference quarterfinals following a stunning 3-2 OT loss on Tuesday, the Montreal defenseman is anxious to get back out for Game 5 — and beat a Sens team he thinks Montreal is better than.
“We can sit and talk about [Game 4] all we want, but it’s over with,” he told reporters on Wednesday. “Quite frankly, I want to beat these guys. We have another opportunity tomorrow to play, and we can beat these guys.
The Canadiens feel that, despite trailing in games, this series is closer than it appears. They’ve been besieged by injury (Lars Eller, Brian Gionta, Carey Price, Ryan White, Brandon Prust) and lost Game 1 despite out-shooting Ottawa 50 to 31.
After bouncing back with a win in Game 2, they were throttled 6-1 in Game 3, but rebounded to build up a 2-0 lead in Game 4 — then watch it evaporate in the final 8:05.
Game 5 goes on Thursday at the Bell Centre, which should be raucous.
“We’ve got to turn the page and get ready for tomorrow,” Subban explained. “Like I said, we’re a better team. And I think we know that in this dressing room.”
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 10
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 20
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)