May 8, 2013, 1:13 PM EST
More bad news for the Canadiens.
After Tuesday night’s crushing 3-2 OT defeat to Ottawa, the club learned on Wednesday that captain Brian Gionta will miss the remainder of the season to undergo surgery on a torn left bicep.
Gionta, 34, appeared in all 48 games during the regular season — finishing second on the team in goals, with 14 — but has missed two of four postseason games with what was originally labeled an upper-body injury.
This injury marks the second time in as many years that Gionta has been lost for the year due to a torn bicep.
In 2012, he tore his right biceps and underwent surgery in January, limiting his season to just 31 games.
Update: To give you an idea of how hard Gionta took the news…
Michel Therrien:”our captain was crying in my arms when he learned he could not play anymore.”
— Renaud Lavoie (@RenLavoieRDS) May 8, 2013
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 3
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 46
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)