May 8, 2013, 1:13 PM EDT
More bad news for the Canadiens.
After Tuesday night’s crushing 3-2 OT defeat to Ottawa, the club learned on Wednesday that captain Brian Gionta will miss the remainder of the season to undergo surgery on a torn left bicep.
Gionta, 34, appeared in all 48 games during the regular season — finishing second on the team in goals, with 14 — but has missed two of four postseason games with what was originally labeled an upper-body injury.
This injury marks the second time in as many years that Gionta has been lost for the year due to a torn bicep.
In 2012, he tore his right biceps and underwent surgery in January, limiting his season to just 31 games.
Update: To give you an idea of how hard Gionta took the news…
Michel Therrien:”our captain was crying in my arms when he learned he could not play anymore.”
— Renaud Lavoie (@RenLavoieRDS) May 8, 2013
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)