May 8, 2013, 1:13 PM EDT
More bad news for the Canadiens.
After Tuesday night’s crushing 3-2 OT defeat to Ottawa, the club learned on Wednesday that captain Brian Gionta will miss the remainder of the season to undergo surgery on a torn left bicep.
Gionta, 34, appeared in all 48 games during the regular season — finishing second on the team in goals, with 14 — but has missed two of four postseason games with what was originally labeled an upper-body injury.
This injury marks the second time in as many years that Gionta has been lost for the year due to a torn bicep.
In 2012, he tore his right biceps and underwent surgery in January, limiting his season to just 31 games.
Update: To give you an idea of how hard Gionta took the news…
Michel Therrien:”our captain was crying in my arms when he learned he could not play anymore.”
— Renaud Lavoie (@RenLavoieRDS) May 8, 2013
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)