May 8, 2013, 2:07 PM EST
Edmonton city councilors want to know how a $55 million shortfall will be made up before voting on a plan to build a $480 million downtown arena to house the Oilers.
Which seems rather obvious, doesn’t it? Knowing where the money is coming from before committing to spend it? When have politicians ever kicked the can down the road? OK, maybe don’t answer that.
“I realize Edmontonians would like this settled,” said Mayor Stephen Mandel, per CBC.ca. “In front of us today is not a solution. We need to come back for this council to vote on something that can be voted ‘yes’ or ‘no.’”
The city has been adamant it won’t put any more into the deal. The problem is, the province has also been adamant it won’t directly fund the arena, and the Oilers don’t want to up their contribution either.
So for now, it’s a bit of a stand-off.
It’ll get done though. No politician wants to pay the price that would be attached to failure.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 12
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)