May 8, 2013, 12:28 AM EST
It’s getting to be a bit of a broken record for the Minnesota Wild. Another playoff loss to Chicago, this one a disappointing 3-0 decision, and another game that sees them lose their starting goalie while their offense goes AWOL.
This time around Patrick Sharp scored twice while Brandon Bollig added a final tally in the third to lead the offense. Corey Crawford had a ho-hum night making 25 saves to earn the shutout. Wild backup netminder Darcy Kuemper made 15 saves on 17 shots in 40 minutes of relief work for the injured Josh Harding. Meanwhile, Harding stopped five out of six shots he saw before hurting his leg in a pileup with Jonathan Toews.
Chicago now heads home with a 3-1 series lead against a team with some major headaches in goal and little to no offense to speak of. Life seems pretty good for the Presidents’ Trophy winners.
Some talking points to kick around:
— Jason Pominville‘s return to action tonight didn’t do much to lift the team. He saw just 12:12 worth of ice time and had three shots on goal. It’s clear coach Mike Yeo was using him in offensive situations (like the power play) but he just couldn’t provide a spark.
— Speaking of Minnesota’s power play, it’s horrendous. They went 0-6 with the man advantage and if they could do anything with it, they’d give the Blackhawks some kind of scare. Instead, it’s basically a two minute walk in the park for Chicago’s PK.
— Dan Carcillo took a bad penalty early and finished the game playing just 3:55, the lowest ice time of any player in tonight’s game. What purpose does he serve again? Chicago has to have someone more productive than him on the roster.
— FYI: Darcy Kuemper wasn’t flying solo after replacing Harding tonight. Niklas Backstrom suited up and took a seat in on the bench as the emergency goalie. How dicey would an injury to Kuemper have been?
Here are the highlights from tonight’s game:
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST
L.A. played the night before.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
Lost to Carolina on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
He was traded from Philadelphia to Chicago on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST
Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Important win for Boston.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 PM EST
Should be interesting.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Another day, another trade.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis recently opened up about his condition.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
That’s according to multiple reports.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
Trade deadline is Monday, by the way.
Feb 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was aiming to play Saturday versus the Rangers.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EST
GM Doug Wilson has some decisions to make…
Feb 27, 2015, 3:17 PM EST
So says NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Some recommended reading to pass along.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Incident occurred during last night’s San Jose-Detroit game.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Were dominated by the Red Wings for the final two periods of last night’s loss.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Feb 27, 2015, 1:35 PM EST
Could it keep him from getting moved by Monday?
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)