May 8, 2013, 12:28 AM EDT
It’s getting to be a bit of a broken record for the Minnesota Wild. Another playoff loss to Chicago, this one a disappointing 3-0 decision, and another game that sees them lose their starting goalie while their offense goes AWOL.
This time around Patrick Sharp scored twice while Brandon Bollig added a final tally in the third to lead the offense. Corey Crawford had a ho-hum night making 25 saves to earn the shutout. Wild backup netminder Darcy Kuemper made 15 saves on 17 shots in 40 minutes of relief work for the injured Josh Harding. Meanwhile, Harding stopped five out of six shots he saw before hurting his leg in a pileup with Jonathan Toews.
Chicago now heads home with a 3-1 series lead against a team with some major headaches in goal and little to no offense to speak of. Life seems pretty good for the Presidents’ Trophy winners.
Some talking points to kick around:
— Jason Pominville‘s return to action tonight didn’t do much to lift the team. He saw just 12:12 worth of ice time and had three shots on goal. It’s clear coach Mike Yeo was using him in offensive situations (like the power play) but he just couldn’t provide a spark.
— Speaking of Minnesota’s power play, it’s horrendous. They went 0-6 with the man advantage and if they could do anything with it, they’d give the Blackhawks some kind of scare. Instead, it’s basically a two minute walk in the park for Chicago’s PK.
— Dan Carcillo took a bad penalty early and finished the game playing just 3:55, the lowest ice time of any player in tonight’s game. What purpose does he serve again? Chicago has to have someone more productive than him on the roster.
— FYI: Darcy Kuemper wasn’t flying solo after replacing Harding tonight. Niklas Backstrom suited up and took a seat in on the bench as the emergency goalie. How dicey would an injury to Kuemper have been?
Here are the highlights from tonight’s game:
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Mar 28, 2015, 2:16 AM EDT
A round-up of scores from Friday’s NCAA action.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Their in Vancouver to face the Canucks on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Crawford pulled in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:28 PM EDT
Crawford was pulled late in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
That’s a blow to Calgary’s post-season hopes.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Nine points since joining Florida.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Not a great start for Chicago.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT
The club says he’s expected to make a full recovery.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
New York plays twice this weekend.
Mar 27, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
They play in Philadelphia on Saturday.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:24 PM EDT
Hasn’t played since Feb. 24.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Terriers move one step closer to the Frozen Four.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
“In the middle of the ice in our system, it’s a lot of work.”
Mar 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
And, quite possibly, for the remainder of the season.
Mar 27, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
Nail-biting time for Bruins fans.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Joins Pavel Datsyuk and Erik Cole on the shelf.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Mar 27, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 27, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
26-15-5 in their last 46 games.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)