Discuss: Chicago disposes of Minnesota with ease, take 3-1 series lead

May 8, 2013, 12:28 AM EST

Minnesota Wild vs. Chicago Blackhawks -- Game 4 Getty Images

It’s getting to be a bit of a broken record for the Minnesota Wild. Another playoff loss to Chicago, this one a disappointing 3-0 decision, and another game that sees them lose their starting goalie while their offense goes AWOL.

This time around Patrick Sharp scored twice while Brandon Bollig added a final tally in the third to lead the offense. Corey Crawford had a ho-hum night making 25 saves to earn the shutout. Wild backup netminder Darcy Kuemper made 15 saves on 17 shots in 40 minutes of relief work for the injured Josh Harding. Meanwhile, Harding stopped five out of six shots he saw before hurting his leg in a pileup with Jonathan Toews.

Chicago now heads home with a 3-1 series lead against a team with some major headaches in goal and little to no offense to speak of. Life seems pretty good for the Presidents’ Trophy winners.

Some talking points to kick around:

Jason Pominville‘s return to action tonight didn’t do much to lift the team. He saw just 12:12 worth of ice time and had three shots on goal. It’s clear coach Mike Yeo was using him in offensive situations (like the power play) but he just couldn’t provide a spark.

— Speaking of Minnesota’s power play, it’s horrendous. They went 0-6 with the man advantage and if they could do anything with it, they’d give the Blackhawks some kind of scare. Instead, it’s basically a two minute walk in the park for Chicago’s PK.

Dan Carcillo took a bad penalty early and finished the game playing just 3:55, the lowest ice time of any player in tonight’s game. What purpose does he serve again? Chicago has to have someone more productive than him on the roster.

— FYI: Darcy Kuemper wasn’t flying solo after replacing Harding tonight. Niklas Backstrom suited up and took a seat in on the bench as the emergency goalie. How dicey would an injury to Kuemper have been?

Here are the highlights from tonight’s game:
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

1. profsudz - May 8, 2013 at 12:36 AM

It was pretty easy after CamelToews took out our backup goalie, leaving us with a third stringer. We should have run over their ol’ boy and see how things went

• Jackson Scofield - May 8, 2013 at 12:41 AM

The Hawks only scored on goal off Keumper… and it was one that Harding nor Backstrom would have had a shot out and it wasn’t a dirty play at all and had no intent to injure.

• esracerx46 - May 8, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Hawks scored 2 off kuemper. Patrick Sharp early in the second and Bryan Bickell in the third. Not goals were rather soft. Brandon Bollig was scratched and Carcillo took his spot on the fourth line. Was Bickell not Bollig.

• alexbaymac - May 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Say what you want…but the game was already lost before that play (1-0 was all it took so Harding takes the loss).
      Besides, if you look at the reply (or actually watch the game) you’d see that Toews held himself up on all fours to attempt to NOT huty him..after the poke-check took Toews feet out from under him.

Harding was great in relief & Kuemper in his relief, but keep making comments like this & it just makes you look stupid. -er.

• profsudz - May 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Fair enough, but when the first shot on goal goes in against your third string goalie, that changes the mentality of the skaters on ice

• comeonnowguys - May 8, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Yeah, did you miss the part where someone was laying on Crawford not 3-5 minutes before and, unlike Toews, showed no real ambition to get up?

Take your five games and like it.

• profsudz - May 8, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Take your 7 games and like it

• getadealdonealready - May 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM

You mean coyle who got pulled down by the jersey on top of crawford and then was held there in hopes of creating a call? I’d say watch that replay again.

• blackhawksdynasty - May 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM

@profsudz: take your 7 games and like it??? Yeah, ok. Keep dreamin pal. Only thing your Wild can win at this point is the first tee time Saturday morning. Have a nice vacation boys.

• hockeyflow33 - May 8, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Everyone really enjoys the hack nicknames, keep it up

• 950003cups - May 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM

If Toews took out your back up, and you were stuck with the back/back up, then who took out your starter? I stand by my original comment. Backstrom could have played opening night. I believe he was spooked and made up some “tweak” so he wouldn’t get shelled.

Why you ask? I can answer that with 2 letters = “FA”

If he gets shelled, he’s unemployed. Simple.

As a famous NHL fan once said:

“It’s all about the Benjamins baby
      Now, what y’all wanna do?
      It’s all about the Benjamins baby
      Wanna be ballers, shot-callers
      It’s all about the Benjamins baby”

~[1997] Sean Combs~

• prideonice - May 8, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Lot of good points made here…but this just isn’t one of them. If he had a good showing like Harding did, wouldn’t he stand to make more money? I don’t think a guy is really going to fake an injury and crap on his teammates at the beginning of the playoffs, after playing almost every game all season. And I don’t think a bad showing against the Blackhawks would keep the entire league from signing him. But of course most of your comments regarding the Wild/Parise/Suter are full of substance, so we’ll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one…

• 950003cups - May 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Actually I haven’t said much about Suter. I never seen him play much. I talked about Parise, and I was spot on. He always disappears in the playoffs.

Backstrom. He dogged it. Wouldn’t be surprised to hear rumblings about it later.

Athletes do it all the time. They dog it for many reasons. Look no further than Derrick Rose.

2. alexbaymac - May 8, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Bollig didn’t play; that was Bicks that scored the third, BTW.

• ineedmorehossa - May 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I need more editing

• chicagobtech - May 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I saw this before I left for the office and laughed.

I’m in the office and I’m still chuckling.

Well played, sir. Well played.

• r8rbhawk - May 8, 2013 at 12:53 AM

after Joe Y’s comments about Carcillo taking a bad penalty you would think he would remember that Carcillo replaced Bollig in the lineup so clearly Bollig did not score in the third.

• 19to77 - May 8, 2013 at 1:02 AM

You’re assuming PHT writers fact-check before posting. You’re a very optimistic man.

3. hammerhead5573 - May 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM

So the last I heard from some real smart people who i assume we wont hear from is Crawford is the weak link. Towes is an over rated captain. The hawks get all the lucky bounces, amongst other real smart comments, bla,bla,bla. I’ll take all of that and be up 3-1 in the series any day of the week.

• indianhead1992 - May 8, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Toews is an overrated Captain? He was voted second best captain among fans and nhl personal last year? Oh yeah the second youngest captain to win a Stanley Cup while winning the Con Smyte. Should I keep going? Ok I will, Hart trophy finalist a few years ago, won MVP of the 2010 Olympic games and will probably (should) win the selke this year. Ok, want more? Lost to Patrick Kane for rookie of the year in 2008 due to injuries. And the best one yet, led this team to THE best start in NHL history while earning the presidents trophy too. Has a good chance to hoist the cup again in 3 years. Let me know when your captain has that background in his first 6 years. I believe Toews has made it to the world juniors championship twice and won it once, along with carrying North Dakota to the frozen four. I think I have made my point here.

• indianhead1992 - May 8, 2013 at 2:50 AM

I know you didnt say that, but it worries me that their are hockey fans out there that think that!

• lostpuppysyndrome - May 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM

There are also hockey fans out there who apparently think a “Toronto Stronger” sign was appropriate to take to the Loafs-Bruins game the other day. Everyone’s an idiot at one point or another.

• jrhawk - May 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM

All that, indianhead, and he STILL doesn’t get the respect nor adulation that Crosby gets. Pretty sad, huh?

4. rgledz - May 8, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Profsudz…..you can’t seriously think that there was anything dirty about Toews going hard to the net. If you do, you know nothing about hockey. It’s just a good strong hockey play, period. The Hawks blocked shots, finished checks and killed off 6…..yes 6 penalties. Stop whining and sounding like an idiot and just accept that the better team won.

• profsudz - May 8, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Reply to my comment and not numerous posts later so you don’t sound like an idiot who doesn’t know how to operate the internets

• hockeyflow33 - May 8, 2013 at 1:16 AM

If you’re on the mobile site there is no option to reply

5. hammerhead5573 - May 8, 2013 at 1:04 AM

And by the way did the wild even come out of the locker room to start the 3rd period?

6. phillyphanatic77 - May 8, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I’ll never understand how Dan Carcillo has managed to keep a job for this long. The Flyers have never had a player that I hated more. The most undisciplined player in the NHL, and it’s not even close. He does nothing but take dumb penalties. Chicago has enough grit, they don’t need that clown in the lineup.

• profsudz - May 8, 2013 at 1:20 AM

He should get a two game suspension for his elbow, so hopefully you won’t have to worry

• acepylut - May 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Couldn’t agree more. At first I was happy to have him on the hawks…. to add some toughness and skill. Turns out he doesn’t have the skill or speed the rest of the ‘hawks do, and he’s not tough, just takes extremely stupid penalties. When he’s on the ice, the ‘hawks don’t play their game because all Carbomb does is skate around all stupid like trying to make a hit. Time and time again, I’ve seen the other 4 hawks bustin up neutral ice with speed and the puck, only to be stopped because Carcillo is still in the offensive zone after either hitting a guy or just talking to him.

7. burgh916 - May 8, 2013 at 2:12 AM

I’m just going to say that Harding played a freaking great series so far. It’s a shame that Minny’s O can’t keep up the pace. Great series by both teams.

8. mp1131211 - May 8, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Chi-cago – doesn’ that mean “I s**t there” in Italian?

• florida727 - May 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Congratulations. You win “Idiot Post of The Day”. No one else was even in the running, that’s how dominant you were.

• mp1131211 - May 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Ci ho go. Look it up. Its hilarious, actually.

9. 950003cups - May 8, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Minny better be prepared to spend another $200,000,000 this summer. They’re only half way there.

LOLOLOL!!

• credible316 - May 8, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Still can’t find the Devils on TV. Do you know what channel their on? I’ll keep looking…still nothing.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - May 8, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Stop making fun of the Minnesota Wild, Cups!!

1 Goal, 0 A, and a -9 is worth 200 million everytime!!

• 950003cups - May 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM

The Wild will be joining them in 30 hours. Wild was a fluke by backing in to the postseason in the last game. What a joke of a franchise.

10. northstarnic - May 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I don’t know what the point is in discussing goaltending or chicago’s supposedly overrated captain. Wilds can’t score. They have always struggled (putting it mildly) to finish at the net. It is really quite pathetic. They also lack leadership – the guy wearing the C has been AWFUL and never takes responsibility for his poor play. Repeat after me: koivu for vanek! Koivu for vanek! Koivu for vanek!

• lostpuppysyndrome - May 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I’d take Koivu over Vanek any day. Vanek is far too inconsistent. I don’t think folks realized how much the Wild need Heatley. I mean, come on, fricken Brodziak on PP1?!? The guy has literally zero moves. He’s positionally sound but watching him with the puck, it’s like one of those Super Chexx hockey guys on the ice. Chicago blocked the snot out of the Wild too, rendering their PP even more ineffective. The Wild had plenty of chances but their passing was either less than stellar, or they whiffed on ones they should have had. Just an overall bad game for them.

11. hokahknow - May 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Wild out played hawks. Just couldn’t hit back of net.

• blackhawksdynasty - May 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Were you watching a different game?? This is game 4 we’re discussing – there was a dominant team on the ice, but they were wearing the Indian Head sweaters. Pay attention man!

12. minnesoulja - May 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Good series.

Yes we have some work to do yet in MN. But we have good talent signed for years to come and good young defensemen who are still growing and learning.

Fight to the end. (and even if or when Chicago takes their fourth win, at least we still don’t live in Illinois)

I will go back to white people problems.

• dt58 - May 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

“white people problems”…You’re an idiot. Your ignorance has no place here.

13. hammerhead5573 - May 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I think what i said earlier may have been misunderstood. In no way was i saying Towes is over-rated. He is a stand up guy and absolutely leads by example. I just find it ironic some idiots are only on here when the hawks lose and make no sense but are nowhere to be found when the hawks win. Not all wild fans are like that but some are as well as super troll herself ( idiot bear )

14. joeyashwi - May 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I’m a Wild fan. The Blackhawks are the best team in the league. No reason for fellow Wild fans to belittle them. Toews is a great player. As far as captains go, it was Koivu’s terrible pass back that left Kuemper out to dry on that first goal. The Hawks do one thing that the Wild don’t, hit the net with their shots!
    Chicago fans can be proud of their team and the rest of us have to remember that they had to go through many lean years to get those high draft picks that are paying dividends now. As for us, we have traded more high picks away for marginal players than any team in the league. I’m still sick about the Leddy for Barker fiasco and we just did it again for Pominville.
    Good luck in your playoff run Hawks. Next year will be fun with the new divisions. The Norris is back!

15. joeyashwi - May 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM

950003cups
    May 8, 2013, 12:20 PM CDT

You have a great team, no need to be a d-bag. Like I said earlier, if the Blackhawks weren’t so bad for so long they wouldn’t have the great players that they have now. The Wild have been too good to get top draft picks and too bad to compete. Perpetual mediocrity at its best.
    The Blackhawks are currently the class of the NHL, unfortunately some of their fans can’t say the same. I hope the cup goes to Chicago since I think they play a classy game in a hockey city. I’m tired of dirty players like Dustin Brown being rewarded for their dirty play.
    Things will turn around someday and Chicago will be looking up at the Wild but for now, good luck to the Blackhawks. They honestly deserve the cup this year.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches