May 8, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
And while that particularly rebuttal may, in fact, have merit, Penguins captain Sidney Crosby still came out in support of his team’s embattled starting goalie the day after Fleury allowed six goals on 24 shots in a 6-4 loss to the Islanders.
“Our confidence (in him) is there,” said Crosby, per WDVE’s Mike Prisuta. “He’s won a Stanley Cup. He’s shown numerous times he can bounce back.”
But will Fleury be given the opportunity in Game 5 to show he can bounce back? The 28-year-old has given up 14 goals — a number of them questionable — in the last three games, and the Pens have a capable backup in veteran Tomas Vokoun.
Fleury also struggled badly in last year’s first-round loss to the Flyers.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 8
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 28
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)