May 7, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
Mike Yeo dropped a little gamesmanship prior to Tuesday’s Game 4 against Chicago.
The Wild head coach claimed the ‘Hawks were cheating — and cheating well — when it came to faceoffs in Games 1 and 2, in which Chicago won 72 of 139 draws.
“When we were in Chicago, I thought they did a pretty good job of cheating in some of those situations,” he explained. “I thought we did a better job at kind of handling that last game.”
Minnesota rebounded to win the faceoff battle in Game 3 — 40-32 — but both coaches were generally displeased that neither team got to cheat.
Linesmen Mark Wheeler and Steve Miller were throwing people out left and right, and Yeo was flummoxed as to why (and didn’t get much of an explanation.)
“I might have said a couple things,” Yeo told the Sun Times, “but it wasn’t much of a conversation.”
Talk of faceoff cheating has run rampant through these playoffs.
Yeo’s comments come on the heels of those made by Vancouver head coach Alain Vigneault, who implied the Sharks were cheating/allowed to cheat in faceoffs during Game 1 of their Western Conference semifinal.
Then, following Monday’s 5-2 loss to the Bruins, Toronto center Tyler Bozak said the B’s were “cheating better” in the faceoff circle.
Chicago center Andrew Shaw sees it a little differently.
“Every centerman cheats on draws,” he said. “That’s what you have to do to win draws.
“If you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying, I guess.”
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 0
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 8
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 23
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)