May 7, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
Mike Yeo dropped a little gamesmanship prior to Tuesday’s Game 4 against Chicago.
The Wild head coach claimed the ‘Hawks were cheating — and cheating well — when it came to faceoffs in Games 1 and 2, in which Chicago won 72 of 139 draws.
“When we were in Chicago, I thought they did a pretty good job of cheating in some of those situations,” he explained. “I thought we did a better job at kind of handling that last game.”
Minnesota rebounded to win the faceoff battle in Game 3 — 40-32 — but both coaches were generally displeased that neither team got to cheat.
Linesmen Mark Wheeler and Steve Miller were throwing people out left and right, and Yeo was flummoxed as to why (and didn’t get much of an explanation.)
“I might have said a couple things,” Yeo told the Sun Times, “but it wasn’t much of a conversation.”
Talk of faceoff cheating has run rampant through these playoffs.
Yeo’s comments come on the heels of those made by Vancouver head coach Alain Vigneault, who implied the Sharks were cheating/allowed to cheat in faceoffs during Game 1 of their Western Conference semifinal.
Then, following Monday’s 5-2 loss to the Bruins, Toronto center Tyler Bozak said the B’s were “cheating better” in the faceoff circle.
Chicago center Andrew Shaw sees it a little differently.
“Every centerman cheats on draws,” he said. “That’s what you have to do to win draws.
“If you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying, I guess.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)